Berlin wall 30 years ago today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Remember it well, i think it was a great day... But we seem to be no wiser

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I went to work and live in Berlin in 1990. It was pretty much nuts. Trabbies everywhere blocking up the roads. Some U Bahn stations where still 'Ghost' and the phone system was touch and go due to the sheer amount of East Germans using the system. Most of the wall was still there. I managed to grab a good few chunks. I kept them on a small bucket which I used as a door stop.
I loved every minute of my time there. And still love the city now.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was working in East Berlin shortly after the wall came down. We were in a 5* hotel within walking distance of one of the checkpoints......hard to believe the city was so poor when the hotel car park was full of big Mercs and Rollers.
Like @ianrauk I got some of the wall but I paid for the pieces to be red stamped as I gave them away as gifts..... I still have one of them.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I was stationed at RAF Gutersloh - 1980 - 82. A 'perk' of being a serviceman means that access to the East was possible. (as long as you were in uniform :eek:)

As we crossed into East Berlin, the lady redcap wished us "a pleasant day and hoped my wife would enjoy the shopping". :dry:

I've posted these photos before, but it was 2013 :whistle:

Brandenburg gate from the East - 1981 - closest I could get without attracting 'attention'.

Went back to Berlin for my 60th - 2013 - same place, but a bit closer

Brandenburg Gate from the West - 1981

As near as I could get to my original shot - 2013

DRM

Guru
Remember having the news on the morning after the East German border was opened, not believing what I was seeing, we visited Berlin in 2008 when the kids were still in high school, they genuinely couldn’t believe how things used to be, with Germany divided up between us, the U.S, France & The Soviets, and that the East Germans just locked their citizens in one August night in 1961, splitting up families, I’ve recently just finished a book called Brixmis The last Cold War mission, it’s a really interesting read about the liaison missions of the British Army/Royal Air Force who toured East Germany gathering intelligence on what the Soviet & East German forces were doing, especially how brazen they were, or some of the more revolting ways that info was gained.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Heck doesn't time fly! The overthrow of Communism was mostly a peaceful revolution,but my main memory of Christmas 1989 was the president of Romania and his wife (can't spell his name or look it up due to using my phone down the pub to post) being violently executed.

Edit...Just looked up his name. No way could i have guess spelt this....Nicolae Ceaușescu

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Heck doesn't time fly! The overthrow of Communism was mostly a peaceful revolution,but my main memory of Christmas 1989 was the president of Romania and his wife (can't spell his name or look it up due to using my phone down the pub to post) being violently executed.

Edit...Just looked up his name. No way could i have guess spelt this....Nicolae Ceaușescu
His final day is interestingly told in a documentary called ‘Me and my Dacia’!

Pronounced chow chess coo 😎

D

Deleted member 26715

It's all David Hasselhoff's fault they all fled when he started singing & even a brick wall couldn't stop them.

Top Bottom