Berlin wall 30 years ago today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I remember reading about the Austin Healey Sprite when I was a kid in 1963. The story never fails to make me smile.

http://www.mossmotoring.com/sprite-true-love-cold-war/

Speaking of cars.....

Trabants 1981

Trabants (for hire) 2013 :laugh:

GM

Legendary Member
From todays Sunday London Ride, 2 bits of the wall at the war museum....

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Blue Hills I'm going to do a post about this on my street art thread after I've been to the shops, but no its not original, and its not just done by some random, the artists were asked to do it to commemorate the fall of the wall.

Thierry Noir, who did the one on the left was the first artist to illegally paint miles of Berlin Wall in 1984, and it gradually became covered in graffiti and became a 'palimpsest of protest'. Some his original artworks can still been seen on some of the original fragments in Berlin that remain.

Reactions: GM
Today, East Berlin seems to be the cooler, trendier part of town because property is cheaper and impoverished artists, musicians and startup boutiques can afford it.
How much have things changed in those grim industrial cities of East Germany, outside the orbit of cool Berlin ?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Speaking of cars.....

Trabants 1981

View attachment 492421

Trabants (for hire) 2013 :laugh:

View attachment 492424
A friend of ours has a restored one, he took me and @Hill Wimp out for a spin around Romney Marsh, I hadn't had so much fun in a car for years. They're an absolute hoot!

DRM

Guru
The other thing I Remember was when we went to Berlin, we actually were camping just outside Potsdam, one morning we were walking through the site to get up to the road & catch the tram to Potsdam railway station, when there was a hell of a racket coming up behind us, I knew straight away that a Warburg was approaching , my son saw this car and said what on earth is wrong with that thing, as it it left us in a cloud of two stroke fumes, there was also someone with an immaculate Zundapp motor bike on site too.
The other thing I noticed was that the locals in static caravans were very insular, and wouldn’t speak to their neighbours, which is very strange when camping, but perfectly understandable when you think how many people were Stasi informers telling them what their friends and neighbours said and did, this was 19 years after the wall came down

Top Bottom