Berlin's roadside grandstands....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Been driving several times from Berlin Tegel Airport to Dessau in the former GDR over the last 2 months, and have noticed these with interest. Now I know why they are there and what will happen to them. Quite an oddity when you first see them!

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...o-motorway-marvel-berlin-roadside-grandstands

The former GDR is quite new to me. Certainly different from other areas of Germany I have visited and worked-in. It's is still a bit of a time-warp and very conservative. Some fabulous towns and villages, but very sleepy. After about 2000hrs everywhere is like a ghost-town. The infrastructure is great and cycle-paths superb. Being mostly flat a fine area for a cycle tour.

Stupidly I hadn't realised the Bahaus is in Dessau, so must find time for a pilgrimage....

Levo-Lon

Guru
Top tip Avoid Gatwick if your coming home!!

snorri

Legendary Member
Been driving several times from Berlin Tegel Airport to Dessau in the former GDR over the last 2 months, and have noticed these with interest. Now I know why they are there and what will happen to them. Quite an oddity when you first see them!
The sights you miss when you tour by bicycle:sad:.

I met an architect in a hostel in Dessau, he was there to worship at the Bauhaus.
He proudly announced his working life had been spent designing sewage treatment plants.

D

Deleted member 26715

Were they not the public grandstand for the firing squads?

screenman

Legendary Member
Lincoln has a grandstand on one main roads into the city.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie, you can stay in the Bauhaus. It operates a hotel. Not expensive. Nice breakfast, too.

I guess you've already found the brewery-cum-restaurant.
Thanks. I read about the Bauhaus accom. in the Standard last week. Not heard of the Brewery/Restaurant tho....

Thing is, we fly in late, early morning factory trials and then fly out. Will need to plan this in :-)

Thanks. I read about the Bauhaus accom. in the Standard last week. Not heard of the Brewery/Restaurant tho....

This was our room in the Bauhaus, you will note we cycled there. And this is the Brauhaus.

IMG_8818.JPG

robjh

Legendary Member
We spent quite a while in the former GDR this summer in the motorhome on the way to Poland and back, and there are certainly many lovely towns (in parts that avoided WW2 damage) and attractive landscapes. Despite nearly 30 years of unification and renovation, the results of 45 years of divergent development after 1945 are still evident, in both good ways (less destruction from urban road schemes) and bad (dull, uniform housing blocks plonked incongruously in towns and villages). Well worth a visit (and all Germany is very motorhome-friendly, hint hint).

Anyway, I came across this bit of Bauhaus in Probstzella, on the former East-West border:
20180708 (22) Probstzella - Haus des Volkes (Bauhaus).JPG

But hey, if it's Bauhaus you want, you need only venture a few miles north of Cambridge to see another Walter Gropius work.

Top Bottom