Bern Allston helmet - review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Mods, please move if in the wrong place, thanks!

I bought a new helmet, which arrived the other day. My other helmet is a Bern Brentwood, and I decided to get another Bern as I liked it so much.
This is apparently Bern's first bike specific helmet.

1004636_595746900465751_1861763964_n.jpg

NB this is not my photo, I got it online. However, the other photos are mine :smile:

I got the grey (as above) and it also comes in black, white and lime green.
I like the matt finish (my other is gloss) and theres some nice touches; the strap adjusters don't just slide, they have an open/close clip which makes it really easy to adjust....

20141028_214009.jpg

The adjuster at the back of the helmet is velcro instead of the usual dial type.
Some may not like this as it may not give as accurate a fit as the dial system, but I really didn't find it to be an issue and of course, it's less bulky....

20141028_214041.jpg

The helmet comes with a summer liner, which has a visor.
My other Bern has this too but this one flips up, which is a nice touch.
To be honest, I'm glad it does, as I found the visor to be quite low, which limited what I could see in front of me.
I kept having to move my head to a fairly upright position, and found this awkward as I have arthritis in my neck and it hurt after several minutes.

20141028_214129.jpg

Visor down

20141028_214154.jpg

Visor flipped up

The helmet has 16 ventilation points, which is a vast improvement on previous helmets....
20141028_215541.jpg

front/top view

20141028_215500.jpg

side view

20141028_215516.jpg

back view

20141028_215525.jpg

side view

I wore it on a 26 mile ride today, which ended at 6pm, by which time it was cold and dark.
I could feel the ventilation working, but it didn't feel 'draughty'.
I can imagine that in really cold weather, the optional winter liner may be a good idea.
I have read reports that the winter liner is too warm, and someone suggested it's more suited to sub-zero temperatures.
There is also an optional audio liner that has built in speakers - you plug your MP3 player/phone etc into the socket.

bern0033-2.jpg

stock pic - audio liner

It's a really comfortable helmet and very slightly lighter than my previous one. I'd say it's pretty true to size - I got the Large and it's perfect.
The only point of contention for me was the visor, but maybe other people who don't have my neck problems, will find it's fine for them :smile:

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Interesting. Price?

Top Bottom