Best 9 Day Route for Lejog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dod2565

Hi
I am new to this forum.
I would be grateful if someone could recommend a 9 day route for Lejog which would take me up the west coast of Scotland.
I am planning to use b&b or hostels.

robgul

Legendary Member
See www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk for loads of resources and ready-made routes/ideas

Rob

Ajax Bay

Guru
grateful if someone could recommend a 9 day route for Lejog which would take me up the west coast of Scotland.
I am planning to use b&b or hostels.
:welcome:
My route was this one: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/8592623?beta=false - 1000 miles (including the 30km on Orkneys)
To go more 'west coast' in 9 days you'd have to be moving fairly quickly (?200km+) per day. I considered Ardnamurchan, Mallaig and Skye but would've been too far (for me).
9 days: B&B, or friends/relatives (2 nights), and hostel once.
Northlew (NW of Okehampton, good B&B and pub next door), Bristol, Shrewsbury, Lancaster, Sanquhar (on A76), Croabh Haven (35km S of Oban), South Laggan (NNE of Fort William), Crask Inn
Night before starting: Trevescan Hostel
After JoG: ferry to Orkney, ride to Kirkwall hostel, overnight ferry (2330-0700) to Aberdeen, flew back (with bike in box from bike shop).

Ferries: Padstow > Rock, Ardrossan > Arran, Lochranza > Kintyre, Oban > Mull, Fishnish > Lochaline, Corran ferry
then 12km of A82 to to Ft William (Banavie), towpath (excellent), cut up to Commando memorial (Spean Bridge), cut off A82 at Drumnadrochit ^^^ and N to Dingwall.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Have a look at the routefiles I've posted in my LEJOG thread. They would get you LE to Crewe via scenic roads. You could avoid the stretch Perranporth to Padstow if you want to reduce the climbing a bit but we want to do the coastal stuff

After Crewe my route is useless for you as we go home to Glossop and then after that we take the Edinburgh, A9 (ish) route. Final day or two may be useful though

Ours is 10.5 days so you'd have to modify the stop off points for the extra daily mileage you'd need to do

rjacobs

Regular
:welcome:
My route was this one: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/8592623?beta=false - 1000 miles (including the 30km on Orkneys)
To go more 'west coast' in 9 days you'd have to be moving fairly quickly (?200km+) per day. I considered Ardnamurchan, Mallaig and Skye but would've been too far (for me).
9 days: B&B, or friends/relatives (2 nights), and hostel once.
Northlew (NW of Okehampton, good B&B and pub next door), Bristol, Shrewsbury, Lancaster, Sanquhar (on A76), Croabh Haven (35km S of Oban), South Laggan (NNE of Fort William), Crask Inn
Night before starting: Trevescan Hostel
After JoG: ferry to Orkney, ride to Kirkwall hostel, overnight ferry (2330-0700) to Aberdeen, flew back (with bike in box from bike shop).

Ferries: Padstow > Rock, Ardrossan > Arran, Lochranza > Kintyre, Oban > Mull, Fishnish > Lochaline, Corran ferry
then 12km of A82 to to Ft William (Banavie), towpath (excellent), cut up to Commando memorial (Spean Bridge), cut off A82 at Drumnadrochit ^^^ and N to Dingwall.
View attachment 500538
I am setting off early August and after looking up a number of options will be following a very similar route. Has anyone else opted for this and have any comments or suggestions?

rjacobs

Regular
I should also add that I will be doing a mixture of camping / B&B's - someone will meet me every other day or so to give me some flexibility with the current covid situation.

Ajax Bay

Guru
will be following a very similar route.
[Detail]
If you do go across via Arran/Lochranza to Kintyre:
1) Climbing out of Claonaig, take care up the 'single track with passing places road'. There will be locals hammering down the hill (in motors) to catch the ferry with a rudimentary approach to keeping left - I had a close call about a mile away from the slipway.
2) After climbing over to the west side of Kintyre (A83), I chose to divert (?250m) down to the Kennacraig ferry terminal and bought my CalMac ferry ticket from Oban to Craignure. No queue (of course) as the ferry to Islay had gone, but arriving at Oban the following noon I had little time to spare (after 80+km that morning) and would have missed the ferry if I'd had to join the queue or even find/visit the ticket office.

rjacobs

Regular
[Detail]
If you do go across via Arran/Lochranza to Kintyre:
1) Climbing out of Claonaig, take care up the 'single track with passing places road'. There will be locals hammering down the hill (in motors) to catch the ferry with a rudimentary approach to keeping left - I had a close call about a mile away from the slipway.
2) After climbing over to the west side of Kintyre (A83), I chose to divert (?250m) down to the Kennacraig ferry terminal and bought my CalMac ferry ticket from Oban to Craignure. No queue (of course) as the ferry to Islay had gone, but arriving at Oban the following noon I had little time to spare (after 80+km that morning) and would have missed the ferry if I'd had to join the queue or even find/visit the ticket office.
Top man, thanks for the advice - I'll make a note of all that 👍

rjacobs

Regular
Setting off in 10 days time - A big thank you to members who have given me some pointers, particularly Ajax Bay for GPS route and some detailed info. Pretty much following his exact route so much appreciated, can't imagine how much time went into that.
Route is on the Garmin, bags are packed, first 4 days of accommodation are booked, bike has been serviced and most importantly plenty of miles cycled in the last 3 months.
Just keeping my fingers crossed for the weather!

Top Bottom