Best and safest way to clean rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
Puddles clean rims.
I took my very dirty bike out the other day, hoping it would get a good clean. It came back dirtier than it went out but I reckon I replaced the muck on it three times over during that ride. Loads of surface water and the muck that gathers in the middle of the little lanes that I like to cycle on had spread out all over the road in places.

I once used a long big puddle in the tyre track area of a single track lane to clean my tyres. I had thought about pot-holes but convinced myself there was nothing to worry about. I hit a massive one several inches deep with a hard cliff-like edge. I was lucky not to have caused any damage to the wheel or bike but my foot on the downstroke went under the water.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Looked at my bikes today, they all need cleaning. Hot soapy water with a sponge on everything (including the rims) but the cassette, chain and chain rings. If I'm feeling really kind to them the disc brakes might get a spray of disc brake cleaner or even a wipe down with that IPA alcohol or whatever it is called.

Rims

nlmkiii

If you want to give it a real deep clean then isopropyl alcohol is the way forwards. It's not expensive either :smile:

nlmkiii

I clean my (rim-brake) bike rims with an oldtoothbrush dipped in washing-up liquid soaped water. Then wipe muck of with bits of paper. Takes a fair few passes though.

i have thought of using isopropyl alcohol, as much recommended, including above.

Question about it - a search on the websites of both Toolstation and Screwfix doesn't seem to list it.

Which rather surprised me if it's such a good cleaner.

Any reason for this?

Do those switched on tradespeople use something else for such jobs that is just as good/better and cheaper?
Trade shops sell methylated spirits, which is denatured alcohol (basically meaning alcohol with poison added). It is virtually the same for most uses, except for some additional chemicals that have been added. Those chemicals can cause problems on some substances though, which is why isopropyl alcohol is recommended more for chains / braking surfaces etc.

I suspect there is some legal reason that they can't sell alcohol that is not denatured (denatured = had poison added). Isopropyl alcohol generally is not denatured, though it's not the same type of alcohol as the type we drink, and so can cause some problems. But plenty of people have drunk it, got drunk, and not died. It's a very bad idea though, and if you go down that road you have a very short shelf life! But it is very likely a reason that these places don't sell it.

Trade shops sell methylated spirits, which is denatured alcohol (basically meaning alcohol with poison added). It is virtually the same for most uses, except for some additional chemicals that have been added. Those chemicals can cause problems on some substances though, which is why isopropyl alcohol is recommended more for chains / braking surfaces etc.

I suspect there is some legal reason that they can't sell alcohol that is not denatured (denatured = had poison added). Isopropyl alcohol generally is not denatured, though it's not the same type of alcohol as the type we drink, and so can cause some problems. But plenty of people have drunk it, got drunk, and not died. It's a very bad idea though, and if you go down that road you have a very short shelf life! But it is very likely a reason that these places don't sell it.
so are you saying meths (the purple stuff as sold here) is effectively just as good isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the rims? I have a good supply of that around anyway as I use it for my camping Trangia stove.I suppose that if there's anything potentially harmful in it for the rims (surely would have to be pretty strong stuff to harm?) I could finish off with more water and washing up liquid/wiping?

Have also wondered when in Wilco if any of the paint brush cleaning stuff/decorating stuff could be handy.

(PS - have no intention of drinking any of it)

nlmkiii

so are you saying meths (the purple stuff as sold here) is effectively just as good isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the rims? I have a good supply of that around anyway as I use it for my camping Trangia stove.I suppose that if there's anything potentially harmful in it for the rims (surely would have to be pretty strong stuff to harm?) I could finish off with more water and washing up liquid/wiping?

Have also wondered when in Wilco if any of the paint brush cleaning stuff/decorating stuff could be handy.

(PS - have no intention of drinking any of it)
Personally I just use IPA as it’s cheap enough on Amazon. I did use some surgical spirits once from Lloyds pharmacy too.

The only problem that I’m aware of with methylated spirits is the chemical residue not being desirable in some instances. I can’t answer on the specific use case of rims though.

The other industrial solvents, like white spirit, are also very useful in some situations. But they are much less friendly, both to your skin the environment, and sometimes your components. It gets complex. I certainly wouldn’t use white spirit on much, and certainly not without research, as it creates a situation where your components can oxidise (rust) rapidly. I use it on a brand new chain to clean off the factory lube… but I then clean off the white spirit with IPA too.

What I hate about these solvents is the number of people who just say “let the waste evaporate” … which is awful!!! Just make sure you’re disposing well.

Personally if I were you I’d spend £10 on a litre of IPA and just use that!!! But methylated spirits is probably okay too :smile:

Top Bottom