Best and safest way to clean rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
big world out there - it was the supplier I was interested in - now found thanks to other post.

jpj84

Veteran
I'm genuinely intrigued how anyone could identify that it's the left pad that's causing squealing, rather than the right. I'm not convinced I could distinguish between front/rear wheel :ohmy:

I'm genuinely intrigued how anyone could identify that it's the left pad that's causing squealing, rather than the right. I'm not convinced I could distinguish between front/rear wheel :ohmy:
Ha!

Funnliy enough I had the same issue recently. I only knew cos I had the bike on the work-stand - I could see that one pad was contacting before the other, so was able to isolate the squealing.
Being on the commuter I can live with it. I take satisfaction from the banshee wails from some disc brakes on the club-run!

Sorry, couldn't resist

That said, as it's a generic chemical a litre of iso-prop is a litre of isoprop so you don't really care who's selling it.
no I don't - but finding the cheapest of anything can take a fair old while on the bay due to sellers using the old trick of having a small size/quantity of something on offer so that they come top of/high up the searches.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a spray can of isopropyl alcohol. I got it from the late lamented Maplins. It has lasted me years and will no doubt last years more as I only use about 3 or 4 squirts a year.

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

Ive tried cleaning the rim with hot water but i cant get the rim clean because when i wipe it with a white cloth with icopropal alcohol, black dirts comes out. Im not sure if its the reason why my break squeaks.

freiston

Veteran
Ive tried cleaning the rim with hot water but i cant get the rim clean because when i wipe it with a white cloth with icopropal alcohol, black dirts comes out. Im not sure if its the reason why my break squeaks.
If you'd said "how do I stop my brakes squeaking" you'd get a radically different set of responses.

If that's your question, I suggest staying a new thread.

I could do with an answer myself.
IMHO a persistent squeak is not likely to be down to dirty rims (though in my experience, sometimes a brake will squeak for a short while after the bike/rims have been cleaned). Like roubaixtuesday said, a new thread asking how to cure a squealing V brake would get you different responses.
I don't have much experience with problematic V brakes - only regular cantis - but the way I understand it is a resonance that is caused by a particular set of circumstances. Sometimes the combination of brake block, brake arm and frame all work together to vibrate, resonate and squeal. If set-up and cleanliness do not resolve the issue, try a different type of brake block. I don't know what you have now but the last brake blocks that I bought were Kool Stop Dura (they're the dual colour salmon/black ones); I like them and they're comparatively cheap.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
i have thought of using isopropyl alcohol, as much recommended, including above.

Question about it - a search on the websites of both Toolstation and Screwfix doesn't seem to list it.

Which rather surprised me if it's such a good cleaner.

Any reason for this?

I dont know if anyone has answered your question yet (too lazy to read through all the pages :hello:)

BUT Isopropyl Alcohol should be available from your local pharmaceutical store or chemist as its primary use is for medical purposes, cleaning and disinfecting things like small cuts, grazes etc etc but it just so turns out its also great at eating things like glue residue left from sticky labels and ink from permanent marker.

so check your nearest lloyds & Boots. I dont think Superdrug sells it but you can always ask.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Puddles clean rims.
I prefer a hot shower and soap myself

Hot tap plumed into the boiler.

Last edited:
Top Bottom