Best and safest way to clean rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Biker2772

I ve used Isopropyl alcohol to clean the rims and v brakes but the left side still squeaks but not the right ones. I have set toe for both of them. Idk what to do.

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
link please
sorry dont know how to do a screen shot so hope this does the trick...Isopropyl alcohol 99.9% pure IPA isopropanol liquid 1 litre lab grade ...seller jem_products

si_c

Guru
I ve used Isopropyl alcohol to clean the rims and v brakes but the left side still squeaks but not the right ones. I have set toe for both of them. Idk what to do.
Try sanding the pads a tiny bit, just to roughen the surface up a touch - you can get squealing when one side has a glassy finish so sanding removes that. You don't need to do much just until the surface looks dull, then give the pads a quick wipe with IPA.

Tom B

Guru
Some of the best things I have for bike cleaning are dish bushes.

IKEA sell a boring basic version for about 55p I usually. Grab a dozen or so when I'm being tortured in IKEA.

I keep three or so on the go for varying amounts of grubbyness. One for frame, one for muddy, one for oily bits like chain and cassette, chain stay or rear wheel if it's particularly grubby. The brushes move along the line as they become manky.

I just dunk the brush in a bucket of whatever foamy car soap solution is on offer and wash away. I might use a bit of screwfix degreaser in a squirty bottle for the oily greasy bits. And rinse.

Anyway, time cleaning the bike is time wasted that could have been spent riding the bike.

Attachments

• 16432129816716575285370337700207.jpg
    16432129816716575285370337700207.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220126_160352.JPG
    20220126_160352.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 9

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
surprised that you don't.
Surely on rim-braked bikes you need to keep clean to retain good braking?
and to clean/check pads at same time to remove any debris which will accelerate rim wear?

(also a good opportunity to give general braking system a quick once over)
We've done this before - but with decent pads and as @Dogtrousers says, rims don't need cleaning for braking purposes.
I don't clean pads either.
Koolstop Salmon on Front and Black on Rears on my all-weather bikes. Fix and forget.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We've done this before - but with decent pads and as @Dogtrousers says, rims don't need cleaning for braking purposes.
I don't clean pads either.
Koolstop Salmon on Front and Black on Rears on my all-weather bikes. Fix and forget.
True, but as my bike lives indoors I clean it after mucky rides. So the rims get cleaned for other reasons. Any improvement, or no change at all, to braking is incidental.

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

I cleaned the rim and brake pads with a bike degreaser called muc off bike spray and still the left brake pads squeak. Could i just by any sanding paper?

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

Try sanding the pads a tiny bit, just to roughen the surface up a touch - you can get squealing when one side has a glassy finish so sanding removes that. You don't need to do much just until the surface looks dull, then give the pads a quick wipe with IPA.
I used a filer but no luck

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

Bucket, sponge, car shampoo and water, job jobbed. Or washing up liquid. Nothing special needed.

I have tried everything and the left brake pad still squeals. Its a new rim that has less than 200 miles on it and ive taken good care of it. Its a swytch wheel btw. Would baby powder work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220126-194923_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220126-194923_Chrome.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220126-194923_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220126-194923_Chrome.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom