Best and worst cycling moments?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best: too many to mention! It's a toss up between dropping 8 feet from a pitch featuring a succession of 4" skinnies and log rides on mt fromme, vancouver; getting on the podium a couple of times when mtb racing; completing a 40 mile epic mtb ride in glen sleagachan on the isle of skye; descending the col d'agnes on a fully loaded tourer; racing my mate down a descent in scotland on our Airnimals VERY recklessly the other weekend...

Worst: being scraped up off the road unconscious and with a broken back after being hit by a car on my commute in 2001.

gavintc

Guru
Like others on here, my high points have been successes and fun derived from cycling. There have been many, each is satisfying in its own way. Keeping up with the club race team on a training ride, leading a peloton up a hill and being able to outsprint the others at the top, getting up Mt Ventoux, watching the Tour de France. In summary, there are many, many moments of sheer joy from good honest exercise.

The lows come the sickening feeling of a fall, the pain and the realisation that your schedule for the next couple of months is now somewhat altered. On Thu last week, I should have been heading off to Sardinia with some friends to do a supported circumnavigation; 6 days and 800km. On Wed afternoon, I went out for a quick ride, lost control on a speed bump and am now in a hospital with pins in my hip and femur.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Best: too many to mention! It's a toss up between dropping 8 feet from a pitch featuring a succession of 4" skinnies and log rides on mt fromme, vancouver; getting on the podium a couple of times when mtb racing; completing a 40 mile epic mtb ride in glen sleagachan on the isle of skye; descending the col d'agnes on a fully loaded tourer; racing my mate down a descent in scotland on our Airnimals VERY recklessly the other weekend...

Worst: being scraped up off the road unconscious and with a broken back after being hit by a car on my commute in 2001.

:eek:

al78

Guru
Best: Getting round the Etape Caledonia in under 5 hours, despite stopping at four of the five feed stations.

Worst: Coming off on the descent from Coldharbour to Dorking at around 20 mph and needing 12 stitches in my right elbow.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Best, unbelievably, is the sunset i saw over Birmingham last year. Orange, yellow and red swirls across the sky, red russet browns on the leaves on the trees, green fields looking out towards Birmingham (I was on a hill in Meriden) and the glitter effect of far off city lights. Coupled with the smell of BBQ and bonfires is one of my most memorable moments. I even stopped the bike to take it in, wishing I had my camera on me.

Worst could be one of two. The time I came off Suffolk and broken my collar bone, or the time I came off on the way to Paris, got kidnapped by fake support team and ended up in hospital with suspected broken pelvis (thankfully not broken). Not sure which one was worse; Both I was in tremendous pain for weeks after so i suppose it all depends on the actual accident... and although I don't remember the first accident the 2nd one involved a hot french doctor to make up for it. :wub:

not sure what's better, loss of what would be a traumatic memory... or being able to remember the hot doctor.

Top Bottom