Best, better, and more expensive - my myth busting view...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have a bike which (today, to replace, would cost less than £500), and has technology from a while back. It's not the fastest, nor the lightest, and it manages to outshine my abilities.
It can manage 60+ miles without issue, and has remained reliable for 4 years without any issue, except the normal wear and tear which you would expect.
It lives outside, in all weathers, so looks a little old.

It has completed a LEJOG, and a trip to Guernsey, towed a trailer, and continues to provide a large amount of fun and exercise for us (it's a tandem btw!).
We are considering an L2P sometime next year on it.

My view is that there is often a large desire to replace things, or to buy the best/lightest/strongest bike and equipment all the time, and whilst I might agree that the initial bike purchase should be buy the best you can afford, more importantly, take time to consider HOW you will use the bike - marketing, and the opinions of others could provoke more cost than you actually need!

We have Acera 24 speed gearing, it's not modern nor up-to-date, but it works really well for us.... and is still currently available if things need replacing. This is just one example where newer, isn't necessarily the best, certainly not for us!

Please feel free to disagree with me, but this is directed towards those who are considering a purchase, and frequently look to this forum for advice.... new and shiny, bang up-to-date stuff might be your desire, but also can be a false economy!

All sounds very sensible to me. But as far as finance goes I'm a 'head' man (at least these days) and definitely not a 'heart' type. In another life we used to replace things to 'keep up to date' but then we completely downshifted our life and part of this included us steering way clear of fashion/latest-greatest. Don't get me wrong, we are not stingy we spend decent money for things that, to us, appear to be good value for money. Without going too political it wasn't just the bankers that screwed the country up - it was also every daft sod on modest wages that wanted to look and dress like eg David & Victoria, drive cars they couldn't really afford on some crappy PCP and who thought that the equity in their house was a Piggy Bank, to fund eg 'dream' holidays, that they either conveniently, or stupidly, forgot needed paying back.

I agree. As with everything from silly little mobile phones to shiny German cars, the gullible are far too willing to get their wallets out for no more gain that the smug feeling that comes with temporarily having something they perceive to be better/flasher/more up to date that that which their neighbours possess. It's a sad indictment on life and society that people attach so much importance to the pursuit of such things.

Yes, odd how people *iss their pants/knick's with excitement at the latest Apple offering. Or disc brakes. :smile:

What do all you tight miserly people spend all of your disposable on, is something I have often wondered about.

Haha - not tight and miserly at all. Just sensible! We try to strike a balance between living for now, having rainy day money and making sure the kids will be ok when we finally shuffle off.

screenman

Legendary Member
somebody we know saved and had a pot of money to leave the kids when they departed, them not the kids. All this whilst the kids were having a rough time through redundancy etc. I could never figure out why they did not help the kids out when they needed it.

I fall into the miserly and extremely tight bit when spending on myself, on the wife and kids I am way off in the opposite direction.

screenman

Legendary Member
There may have to be a lot of redundancies if people start spending like a lot of guys on here do. So keep buying the bling, and remember you are doing your bit for workers around the world.

bpsmith

Veteran
I love you point about the latest Apple kit @SpokeyDokey. Ironically, if you look after your iPhone, it is worth very good money even 2 years down the line. I used to change mine every year and end up with cash in my pocket after getting Quidco cash back and selling the old one.

People fail to see that premium brands retain premium residuals too.

I also have a 2006 iMac that is still working perfectly since brand new. I would have bought about 4 PC's and numerous upgrades in that time, so actually saved money and had far less hassle than viruses and reinstalling the OS continually.

I don't have debts, aside from my mortgage, but do spend on nice things when the price/timing is right.

Same goes for cycling kit. Would rather have better quality kit, but buy at key times, so get premium kit at same price as cheaper brands.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
touched a nerve did I?
!

Grow up mate, envy is so unseemly in somebody who is presumably meant to be an adult!

Your prejudice about RR drivers is identical to those who condemn mamils as being sad twats having a mid life crisis! A generalisation which speaks more of the person saying that those being said about.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
After selling the Range River I bought a Saab, so did that make me a cool architect, or some plonker overpaying for a Vectra with a Saab badge. If I get an Astra presumably I then become uber cool based on your 'you are what you drive' philosophy!

outlash

also available in orange
It seems I did. So many assumptions, so wide of the mark......

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Congrats on getting in a mention for the platinum Amex... ;)

isn't card snobbery a bit last decade, or even last century?

The proliferation of designs on cards has all but wiped out any gold/silver etc 'meaning'.

There's a nice looking strawberry on my Tesco credit card.

I shall be sad to see it go when the card expires.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3810343, member: 259"]Mine is. But if I see a 0% balance deal, I will use it.[/QUOTE]

Whilst I agree with that, some people buy things they cannot afford on 0%.

Top Bottom