best brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beckc

I'm building a lightish triathlon bike based on Pedalforce group buy and am trying to determine best brakes.

Some say Campag are better than Shimano.

Is it worth paying extra to get something higher spec than Ultegra?

As usual, all advice, experience shared knowledge much appreciated.

beckc said:
I'm building a lightish triathlon bike based on Pedalforce group buy and am trying to determine best brakes.

Some say Campag are better than Shimano.

Is it worth paying extra to get something higher spec than Ultegra?

As usual, all advice, experience shared knowledge much appreciated.

You don't need the absolute braking power of a racing bike in a triathlon so I'd be tempted to go for the lightest set you can afford, Campag, Shimano, whatever.

Monty Dog

General opinion is that Campag brakes provide more progressive, powerful braking - whereas Shimano are more ON-OFF. However, Campag brake calipers don't have a QR on the caliper - so can be a little bit more fiddly for wheel removal if using wider tyres. Don't under-estimate the need for brakes on a tri-bike either - courses can often be more technical than a typical TT course and if your weights all up-front on a tri-bike, handling under braking can be pretty iffy.

rustychisel

Yeah, I'd say choosing below-par brakes is a dumb idea anytime. There will be an occasion where you'll need 'em. Having said that I've got a pair of side pull calipers (luvverly, they're Gipiemme Cronos) on a bike and they weigh about half what a Ultegra does. Work perfectly well, too.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I've noticed which ever bike I use the newest one always brakes the best, though maybe it's just the newer brake pads?

Top Bottom