Best breakfast choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I travel almost every week day with work, up and down the UK and abroad.

I'm all company credit carded up and work buy me brekky, lunch, supper, beer and hotels.

Most mornings I stop at the services and buy brekky but which is the best option to reduce my gut and give my body the energy it needs for my now nightly bike rides?

Option 1: Starbucks skinny lemon drizzle muffin, naked green machine juice, small latte.

Option 2: full English, tea and orange juice.

Option 3: porridge or weetabix at home before I leave.

Option 4: stop eating you fat git

Thoughts?

tadpole

A couple of rounds of toast with peanut butter when you get up, and a round about 9am a bowl of Muesli with semi skimmed milk. Protein carbs fats, all you need for a busy morning. your lemon Drizzle muffin/cake is loaded with so much sugar, I'm suprised that it's not been banned.

Sandra6

Veteran
I don't think what you eat in the morning will affect your nightly ride -its more about what you eat in the afternoon surely?
You should avoid high sugar foods altogether, but particularly in the mornings.
A cooked breakfast - but not necessarily a fully loaded one - will keep you full for longer, but if you're going to be sitting in a car or behind a desk for much of the day you won't burn the calories.
Boiled egg and toast would probably be a good compromise.

Drago

Legendary Member
Brekky is a sore point with me. I used to love a huge bowl of Alpen to fuel me through to lunchtime. Low fat, all those complex carbs from the oats, I was a lean, mean healthy eating machine.

However, one day my eyes puffed up like Schwarzeneggers in Total Recall and I had trouble breathing. A lie down and 4 hours later I was better-ish.

About a week later it happened again and I ended up in Hossy.

It would seem that I had developed an allergy to tree nuts (thankfully peanuts don't affect me) and my healthy start to the day was in very real danger of killing me.

A fry up is nice, but is so oily it can only ever be a rare treat. Toast is too heavy to eat early AM and sits a bit heavy in my tum. So it's shredded wheat, which do the job but are like eating a pillow.

So, the safest, healthiest and tastiest brekky I recommend is a double sausage and egg mcmuffin meal ;)

asterix

Comrade Member
If I was doing a one-off long trip, I would go for option 2 as it would last me the entire day.

On a daily basis it's option 3. I have to eat first thing, it's my metabolism. Then I'll take mid-day snack followed by an evening meal.

The only time I have felt overweight was when I lived, company-funded, in a hotel for 8 months. It didn't take me long to ease up on the carbs, tho'!

I like option 4 :biggrin:

Eat before you leave if you can stomach it. Porridge is good. My personal breakfast is banana, yoghurt and Lizzy's Granola, which is all oat based, so slow release. Porridge will be the same or do the same job. It won't last until nightime though.

Top Bottom