Best breathable waterproof over-trousers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi - I'm looking for a decent pair of breathable waterproof over-trousers for cycling. I have an eVENT fabric Montane Stormrider waterproof jacket, which is great, but don't think I want to be spending as much on over-trousers, as will only really be using them in real down-pours, so what over-trousers are good around the £50-60 mark? am assuming I won't be able to get them in eVENET material at that price, but would still like something reasonably breathable, if possible... Are the Montane Atomic Pants (love the name...) any good?

Could also do with some waterproof gloves to fit over my cycling mits, if such a thing exists!?

Thanks!

PrettyboyTim

I use Rainlegs - they only cover the top of your thighs and knees, but as a result your legs don't get too sweaty.

They don't really keep your shins dry though, but I normally cycling in shorts anyway.

RedBike

I don't think there is such a think as water-proof and breathable. Some good jackets manage shower proof and breathable but I've yet to find anything thats truely waterproof and doesn't do a good job of keeping the sweat in.

I think the answer is to go for a good set of lycra bib tights. They wont be in the slightest bit waterproof but they should stay warm when wet and they shouldn't 'feel' wet against the skin.

I have some cheap over-trousers from Aldi. They're good for sticking over the top of normal trousers for short trips.

As for gloves. Perhaps wearing a set of latex gloves under your normal gloves. Anything worn over the top of normal gloves will end up resembling marigolds and the water will just run in the coughes anyway.

I use Montane featherlites on my commute (wear normal trowsers underneath) and find them very breatheable, during the heaviest of downpours they are not completely waterproof however but given the packability and breathability I'll live with that. On leisure rides though I prefer to let my legs get wet, my skin is waterproof and breatheable I hope :tongue:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
RedBike said:
I don't think there is such a think as water-proof and breathable.

There is, just not at that price.

I've got a Montane eVent jacket and trousers, and have tested them pretty thoroughly in heavy rain. Not a drop of rain got through, and no sweat inside. Absolutely fantastic.

Ben

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Ben Lovejoy said:
There is, just not at that price.

I've got a Montane eVent jacket and trousers, and have tested them pretty thoroughly in heavy rain. Not a drop of rain got through, and no sweat inside. Absolutely fantastic.

Yeah I've got a Montane eVENT jacket, which is great, just not sure I want to spend so much on over-trousers, which I won't use nearly as often

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Personally after experiencing the wonders of eVent, I wouldn't buy anything else. You can get the trousers for £99, so the question is: is it worth £45 to you to be as dry and comfy as you are in the jacket?

Top Bottom