Best Budget Crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

not sure if the same aplies for MTB.

But you have different crank lengths for different riders. the bigger (taller) the rider the longer the cank you should be aiming for. but not nessarsarily true for all riders.

A longer crank Will make you go faster, but because of the length it is a slow accelerator, (you might find larger cranks on track bikes, even custom made length's of 180-190) a smaller crank will give you that extra punch you might need out of corners etc, but it demands a higher cadence. (think lance armstrong, high cadence man, 5ft 9 vs Jan Ulrich, power man, slow cadence 6ft 1) I could go on.

But if your on a budget, only using it for commuting, just get a like for like sized crank for the bike your riding.

OP
OP
John-XTC

John-XTC

Cheers walker, interesting reading as I wasn't aware about the different crank lengths and their benefits.

RedBike

Most MTBs tend to use 175s. It's generally reckoned that having more torque is advantagous off-road.

I would probably give that a miss. They're not shimano cranks, they're Truvativ, and I think he might also be wrong about the bottom bracket. I though they required an isis (truvative power spline) bottom bracket not a shimano Octalink. Beside you can pick them up new for £20.

My money would go on either a Shimano Deore crankset or if you can push the budget a little a Shimano LX crankset. (The external bearings are much stiffer and worth the extra money!)

Top Bottom