best buy flat bar road style hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

riderwanabee

Hi

I need a bike to travel journeys of around 30 miles on the weekends. I haven't ridden a bike in five years or so and have always in the past just bought cheap £99 mountain bikes. For the distances that I need to cover I realise I need to spend more money but I am hoping with some guidance I can get something decent, perhaps in a sale that will fit my purposes without spending too much.

I've never ridden a road bike with drop down handlebars and I don't want to buy one only to find I don't get on with them. As I will be on quite busy roads I think its probably safer to just stick with a flat bar as that is what I know and the position just seems less like I am going to hurtle off of it at some point.

My top end budget is £400 but I'd prefer to spend less. Perhaps the reason why I have picked this figure is that I have found this Eastway FB 2.0 for £399 which seems like it would fit the bill: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-fb20-2014/

It has come down in price a fair whack, which makes me think it is at least well priced.The earlier price of this bike no doubt was not realistic but it seems pretty competitive for what you get at £400.

....and yet, there is not much to be read about this bike online and I don't have the knowledge to be able to make an independent judgement on whether or not it is better or worse than others that I see. I am also a little concerned that I will not be able to have it set up as they have no stores, Eastway seem to have gone exclusive with wiggle.

What are peoples opinions of this bike, if any, and could you point out any bikes which you think would be equal or better for me at a similar or lower price? Or perhaps a slightly less well specked bike that is still good and would serve my needs at a cheaper price.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Edinburgh bike sell eastway, or they did

That looks a fantastic deal, I doubt you'll better, carbon fork, disc brakes, excellent sram components

Check the geometry charts. I have an inkling eastway frames come up on the larger size

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-fb2...ates&utm_campaign=www.cyclechat.net#sizechart

Super find! U.K. company to support too (even if the parts are all made overseas)

Tojo

Über Member
Edinburgh bike sell eastway, or they did

That looks a fantastic deal, I doubt you'll better, carbon fork, disc brakes, excellent sram components

Check the geometry charts. I have an inkling eastway frames come up on the larger size

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-fb2...ates&utm_campaign=www.cyclechat.net#sizechart

Super find! U.K. company to support too (even if the parts are all made overseas)

I agree that's a cracking bike for the money just had a look at the wiggle link and its a nice looking bike with good components I noticed the list price was £900 , good find..........:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

riderwanabee

Oh good. That is really reassuring that you both think it is a very good deal. That is the kind of result I was hoping for. When I rang one of the local suppliers to me they told me they no longer stock them as they had gone exclusive to wiggle, so I was unable to see them or try them out and like I said, there isn't a lot about them as they are a pretty new company.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
My mate at work is after a bike for commuting. He`ll soon be allowed to get one on the c2w scheme and had narrowed it down to a couple of bikes, but I keep showing him others and its doing his head in. Cant wait to get to work tomorrow to show him this one ^_^. I will be shoving him in the Eastway direction though, cracking deal :okay:

Cyclist33

Looks like an absolute steal to me. i had the 4.0 on shortlist recently, it was down to 450 but not as good spec as the 2.0, had it been available at the time i wouldve been sore tempted.

nice colour scheme too!

Cyclist33

my guess is the bike would be mostly built up and youd have to set up the front end, wheels n handlbar in other words. if not confident yourself a localshop or handy mate should sort it.

Top Bottom