Best carbon road bike to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member

chris-suffolk

Whilst it's your choice, I'm not sure I'd buy a full carbon bike below £1000. The frame isn't likely to be the best (either design, layup, longevity or ride comfort) and the same goes for drive-train and wheels etc. I'd either be looking to up the budget (which might mean waiting and saving up more) or buying an aluminium frame with carbon forks. Just my 2 pennies worth.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is the £1000 budget being driven by Cycle to work? If so, which retailers are accessible?
Other than a carbon frame (is this negotiable?) what other spec requirements if any?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd look for the bike you like best, for the budget. Don't get too set on frame material. My two 30 year old steel bikes are lighter than many carbon bikes despite the weight penalty on the frame of a kg.

davidphilips

Veteran
Agree %100 with chris-suffolk, just my view but the new alloy frames ie caad bikes etc are as good as and better than most carbon frames.

davidphilips

Veteran
Don’t think you’ll find a new one for a grand though. Indeed the 2021 Caad 13 is £2.3k
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannondale/CAAD13-105-Disc-Road-Bike-2021/RA29

Agree and tbh really like the caad bikes find them every bit as comfortable as my titanium bikes, know they are not sold as caad but the cannondale optimo bikes can be bought for under a £1,000 and they are actually caad bikes.
Dont hold me to this but have been told that the rim braked optimo is the same as a caad 8, have a caad 8 (and a 9) and have never been on it when theres a optimo at the coffee stop?

vickster

Legendary Member
Agree and tbh really like the caad bikes find them every bit as comfortable as my titanium bikes, know they are not sold as caad but the cannondale optimo bikes can be bought for under a £1,000 and they are actually caad bikes.
Dont hold me to this but have been told that the rim braked optimo is the same as a caad 8, have a caad 8 (and a 9) and have never been on it when theres a optimo at the coffee stop?
Couldn’t see any in stock however. Maybe 2021 not released yet and all the 2020s are sold out

OP
OP
ChewieChubbChubb

ChewieChubbChubb

Thanks for the input guys! I had a Trek carbon forks and it was good, I upgraded to a Pinarello that cost £1450 and it was fantastic!. I've seen lots of great bikes on Ebay 2nd hand that have great specs but a few years old. Cheese!.

chris-suffolk

Thanks for the input guys! I had a Trek carbon forks and it was good, I upgraded to a Pinarello that cost £1450 and it was fantastic!. I've seen lots of great bikes on Ebay 2nd hand that have great specs but a few years old. Cheese!.

A bike a few years old may be a good buy, just depends on how much life is left in the drive-train etc, or whether it's priced to allow for an upgrade / replacement in the near future. If the frame is good, and you can replace any necessary bits, ending up with a bike at a good overall price, then it could be a good route to go. Just be careful buying a carbon bike secondhand without getting an expert opinion on condition.

If you are looking at e-bay, I assume you are not using the Cycle Scheme. Thus, as said earlier, may be worth saving a bit more.

Top Bottom