Best cheap Singlespeed / fixie??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dirtybackbeat

Hi all, unfortunately the frame on my singlespeed has two huge crack on the headstock. Fortunately i noticed before I rode home, so avoided dying! (I'll try and post a picture)

I'm now looking for either a cheap frame and fork or complete bike. However, I want something that will last and not shed parts as I ride. I'm looking for suggestions for decent(ish) under £100 (frame and forks) or under £300 for a complete bike. is this possible??

thanks for your help!

I'm happy with my Viking SS (iirc I paid £175) and nothing has went wrong in the 2842 miles (8 months) I've had it. Its a weighty beast (you get what you pay for) I changed the flat pedals for spds pretty quickly; recently I also changed (after circa 2555 miles) the tyres as I got a p'ture and the originals were a booger to remove/refit :rolleyes: Its perfect for what I want it for, a cheap bike to leave in town, use on snow days :rolleyes: and get a decent work out in a short time (like over lunch). I saw a 2nd hand langster for £160 today on ebay and I think that might be the best for your money or Planet X (On-One) do some good value SS frames.

Edit: Update as of 10/2/13 (2922miles) I need to buy new front brake pads for the Viking. Its the first time I've ever had front brake pads where out before the rear but I think its down to my riding style on the bike, because the bars are too wide I favour the front when its dry.

Dan_h

Hi all, unfortunately the frame on my singlespeed has two huge crack on the headstock. Fortunately i noticed before I rode home, so avoided dying! (I'll try and post a picture)

I'm now looking for either a cheap frame and fork or complete bike. However, I want something that will last and not shed parts as I ride. I'm looking for suggestions for decent(ish) under £100 (frame and forks) or under £300 for a complete bike. is this possible??

thanks for your help!

I have a used Giant Bowery that I have up for sale for £285 (offers possibly accepted ;-) ) if that is of any interest, pretty much as new condition! Depends where in the country you are tho I guess.

Is this possible?
Yup, the world's your oyster if you've got £300 to spend on a fixed IMO.

Dan-h's Giant Bowery is certainly worth a shot if your close and it fits, Specialized Langster's, Fuji Feathers, Charge Plug, Cooper's the list goes on.

I'd avoid the Teman's, Create, £199 Buy It Now's on fleabay and Argos BSO's TBH, they'll be heavy and what components they have will be bobbins.

Second hand is the way I'd go, that way you should even have a chunk of dosh left over if you shop around.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

thanks for your help!
for your £300 you could buy my single speed and fixie that i am selling

Pottsy

Completely agree re the Pompino option. I had one and it was great, very versatile.

Equally for something a little more slick, the Macinato:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FROOMC/on_one_macinato_singlespeed_frame

Also £100.

simon.r

Person
Macinato's currently £140 (frame only), but given On-One's variable pricing policy it'll probably be £100 next week:rolleyes:

Two different beasts IME - the Macinato is more flickable / responsive than the Pompino. Not that the Pompino is particularly ponderous, it's just less lively.

Both excellent frames.

Pottsy

Macinato's currently £140 (frame only), but given On-One's variable pricing policy it'll probably be £100 next week:rolleyes:

Two different beasts IME - the Macinato is more flickable / responsive than the Pompino. Not that the Pompino is particularly ponderous, it's just less lively.

Both excellent frames.

You're right, it says £140 there, but on the page I passed through first, see below, it says £100?!?!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/frames/single_speed_frames

simon.r

Person
You're right, it says £140 there, but on the page I passed through first, see below, it says £100?!?!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/frames/single_speed_frames

I'm a big On-One fan and I've been buying frames* and bits from them for at least 10 years, but in the last year or so I'm getting the impression they're trying to expand a bit too quickly.

One of the reasons I've dealt with them so much is that their customer service was always excellent, but I've had 3 occasions in the last few months where the service hasn't been great. Not bad, but not great. Their website nowadays often has oddities such as you've pointed out. I'll continue to use them, as I think many of their products are excellent value, but I do hope they take the time to step back and assess whether they're providing the sort of products and service that they have become very well regarded for.

*A quick mental run through and I've owned 8 of their frames! (Of which 5 are still with me) - 2 x Pompinos / 1 x ss Inbred / 1 x Ti ss Inbred / 1 x geared Inbred / 1 x Macinato / 1 x Kaffenback / 1 x Pompetamine

Top Bottom