Best Climbs In Western Scotland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
alberto ...this is what you missed ..:thumbsup: i also found it enjoyable ^_^
applecross and cape wrath 117.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I see Stephen did the whole bit I avoided in June by using the Bike bus to Ullapool and riding down the islands :smile:

To be honest in that part of Scotland the views are pretty good wherever and the hills keep coming, whter or not they are considered climbs.

I'll mention the bus again, It runs from Inverness to Dureness and back once a day, and has a trailer on the back (at least in the summer). Considering how far away the nearest station is from Durness (It's either Thrurso or Armadale) then the bus is a very good way of getting up there.

More details here

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Having just picked up a copy Simon Warren`s book, i`m tempted to try this - I was in Applecross decades ago and it`s a beautiful place to be - my brother lives in Ullapool so could provide back-up if required lol - the only thing that would concern me is the scourge of the West of Scotland, the midges!! Do you get them that high up??

andrew_s

Legendary Member
the only thing that would concern me is the scourge of the West of Scotland, the midges!! Do you get them that high up??
Midges don't cope with any sort of wind at all, and there's usually a breeze on top.
When cycling, midges are normally only a problem when you get a puncture.

stephenjubb

Über Member
From experience of being really tired, riding fully loaded uphill, I got dive bombed by horse flies or something similiar in scotland, I soon found the energy!

Same goes with midge clouds if they are following you, you easily pick up speed! no matter how tired!

Top Bottom