Best Cycle Carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
OK, I have an estate car with roof bars and a towing hook. Whst do you guys recommend for a cycle carrier, and what are the pros and cons of the different types?

Cheers

Martin

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've used both. Currently using the roof mount & it's preferable IMO. Any rear/tow bar mount makes using the back door / tailgate impossible.
Another plus is the Thule roof mounts I have are lockable, so you can lock your bike onto the car, although I doubt it is a particularly strong & secure lock.
HTH

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I bought the Thule Roof Mounts and they are great - they knock the petrol consumption quite a bit - which makes cycling a bit less green, but very well designed etc

Martin

Norm

Soltydog said:
I've used both. Currently using the roof mount & it's preferable IMO. Any rear/tow bar mount makes using the back door / tailgate impossible.
Not quite. The Thule 9502/9503, and many others, can tip out of the way. It takes about 15 seconds to tip it and it gives good access to the boot. The only downside is that you need to remove one of the pedals on some bikes because it doesn't quite move far enough out of the way - although that might be just a combination of Giant Talon and Merc E class estate.

thule9502tiltbig.gif

Other carriers, such as the 908 / 909, fold down a lot further...
Euro908tiltbig.gif

Pendle bike racks are the best carriers.Pendle Bike Racks range of supports innovative roof cycle for tandem bike, a wide range of bike carriers bike 2,3,4 capacity for attachment to the tow bar, wheel Relief and car trunk, and 6 and 12 trailers for bicycles.

D

Deleted member 26715

Bit of thread resurrection but this as only 1 of 4 responses to my search.

I currently have a Thule 932 roof mounted cycle carrier, but don't like having to lift the bike above my head, just find it difficult to old it in place whilst I fasten, I have a towbar so I'm looking for a hitchlock type.

Is the Thule any better than the other makes to pay the extra money? Pendle seem more expensive again.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...acks/thule-rideon-9502-2-bike-towball-carrier
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...-towball-mounted-tilting-2-bike-cycle-carrier
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...-bolt-on-towball-mounted-2-bike-cycle-carrier

DRHysted

Guru
Bit of thread resurrection but this as only 1 of 4 responses to my search.

I currently have a Thule 932 roof mounted cycle carrier, but don't like having to lift the bike above my head, just find it difficult to old it in place whilst I fasten, I have a towbar so I'm looking for a hitchlock type.

Is the Thule any better than the other makes to pay the extra money? Pendle seem more expensive again.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...acks/thule-rideon-9502-2-bike-towball-carrier
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...-towball-mounted-tilting-2-bike-cycle-carrier
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...-bolt-on-towball-mounted-2-bike-cycle-carrier

Can't really answer that completely as I got a Buzz rack from www.roofbox.com I haven't used it much but it holds the bikes very stable, but you do get all the road muck thrown up from the back tyres over the bike in bad weather.

D

Deleted member 26715

Thanks for that, the Buzz doesn't tilt away from the back of the car, but will I use that feature?

DRHysted

Guru
Thanks for that, the Buzz doesn't tilt away from the back of the car, but will I use that feature?

Mine does but it is a couple of years old now. It is a useful feature, I have a Mondeo Hatch and using the tilt feature I can still get the dogs in and out of the boot.

D

Deleted member 26715

Oh okay maybe I read the blurb wrong I'll have another look

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 4452772, member: 259"]I would always buy Thule for bike carriers, they cost more but they are rock solid and it's dead easy to get spare bits.[/QUOTE]
Yes that is the dilemma, are they worth £30 for the peace of mind

Buck

Guru
We have the Thule tow bar 3+1 bike rack and its a solid piece of kit and is still like new even after a couple of years of regular use.

Other tow bar brands didn't seem as solid to me when I was comparing but they may have improved their spec/design since I purchased.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've gone for the Thule 9502 in the end. I looked at the others & what swing it in the end was the availability of spares, lenses etc things that might get broken. But thanks for all your suggestions

Brains

Legendary Member
Car Bike racks fall into three categories
(Plus tail gate mounted proper racks only available for flat backed vans)

The string and wire spindly racks that are often seen in the UK ties on over rear windows. I'm amazed they are still actually sold in the UK, should you be caught with on in most of the rest of Europe, you will be removing bikes and rack at the side of the motorway at best, and up before the beak at worst

Roof racks:
The advantage is they can go on most cars
The downside is fuel consumption, height, and the issue of lifting a bike to head hight

Tow ball mounted racks
Having used all four, the tow ball is the way to go, probably the most expensive but ...
It make no difference to your fuel consumption
The bikes are protected from 70mph wind and rain on all day motorway journeys, and even after hours of driving rain and motorway spray are still dry !
Available as 1, 2, 3 and 4 bike carriers
Legal all over Europe
Comes with lights and number plate, so no issues with blocked number plates or lights
Very easy to mount on the tow bar (30 seconds)
Rear boot/tailgate is fully open able (even on a van)
Secure
Easy to put the bikes on, at most you may need to turn the bars, but that depends in number of bikes and their sizes

Top Bottom