best cyclocross cantilevers for the money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
I have tried old style Avid shorty 6, new style shorty 6 and Kore cantis as in the picture above with std pads, kools stops and swissstop pads with differing straddle lengths and various toe in combinations. None had adequate braking or lack of squealing.
I now run tektro mini vee's RX5's and they work work well with shimano pads and cost about £20, they do run close to the rim which could cause a problem in muddy CX conditions. I can't speak about Avid Ultimates as I haven't tried them.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
If I could possibly ask a newbie question...

Why, if the brake arms are the same shape as any other type, would they be better than normal ones?

The brakes on my caadx are utter rubbish. I can't put discs on and I've put very good pads in to no avail, so I'm on the lookout too.

Cheers

VamP

Banned
I have tried old style Avid shorty 6, new style shorty 6 and Kore cantis as in the picture above with std pads, kools stops and swissstop pads with differing straddle lengths and various toe in combinations. None had adequate braking or lack of squealing.
I now run tektro mini vee's RX5's and they work work well with shimano pads and cost about £20, they do run close to the rim which could cause a problem in muddy CX conditions. I can't speak about Avid Ultimates as I haven't tried them.

The gulf between Shorty 6 and Ultimates is wide indeed. Swisstop green pads by preference.

Top Bottom