Best/easiest way to send money to someone in America?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sending a £100 note could work but it needs to go DHL otherwise it could 'disappear'. Walking into a Western Union agent and sending the cash would also work but both will cost about a fiver.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
She is 95. Does not know how to switch a computer on.
I could do it for her but she wants to do it.

Presumably she trusts you? Work out the total cost to transfer then ask her for that money then do the transfer on her behalf? Do it with her present and let her click the button to complete it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Western Union is popular over there. I sent some money to my Aunt in the US recently. It was just a case of finding a newsagents that does the WU thing and it took only a few minutes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thats my thinking.
In in £s or $s ?
Well I imagine a personal cheque would need to be in £sterling. I know in the UK it is possible to bank a foreign currency cheque in to one's own £sterling account. I've no idea if it's possible in the States.

If money transfer via Western Union is not possible the other suggestion I have is a $ travelers cheque but this would probably have to be sent signed by the purchaser in the mail. Even then a US bank might look twice at it.

If the lady in question wants to do this herself how about this. Get her to give you the £100. You get the banking details etc. to use online banking and send from your own account BUT let the lady in question press the send button. As an aside we send £50 every year to a nephew in South Africa via online banking, it really is the only solution these days.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Just get them to post the money to me.... :smile:

Seriously, I've used Xoom and paypal in the past to go from the US to the UK, so I'd imagine you could do the reverse. Another option is to buy an online gift card from a US based web site (assuming the recipient would use it). Or purchase an item as a gift from a US based business online and then shipping is usually minimal to the person in the US.

Top Bottom