Best folk songs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
this thread has really got me thinking about what is folk music. I've had this crazy idea for a few years now that *some* rap-hop could fall into the folk category when they're talking about real life experiences of the lower classes, life in the 'hood, gang culture and gun culture. Then there's the dub poets such as LKJ (me no got no blue suede shoes) and the already posted Benjamin Zephaniah, and the blues singers from the first half of the 20th century before music became a product... but this also begs the question 'Where does folk music stop?'.

Last edited:

Rezillo

TwoSheds

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Okay, since someone mentioned it but didn't post the link:

My favourite recent folk singer is the wonderful, understated James Yorkston:

Steady as She Goes

Shipwreckers

Finally, some friends of mine, Sheesham & Lotus & Son, an Old Time (early folk blues) trio... playing live in an orchard around these parts.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3194551, member: 1314"]Why not define 'folk music' instead of shouting 'cock'. You said it first. And I threw in a few ideas as to what I think folk music is.

What is 'folk music'? I guess defined here it's just a bunch of twee peeps who booed Dylan when he went electric. You haven't given an alternative cversion as to what 'folk music' is.

Old Unreconstructed White Men in Power, that's the problem. They still define the thing. Enjoy Joan Baez all, as that's who they want(ed) to sleep with, and therefore she's been endorsed by them.[/QUOTE]

If you bothered to read some others and my posts, you will see that folk music has been defined, there's a whole broad spectrum

But The Buzzcocks? No.. not in a million years. And I would think that everyone in this thread would think so too.
Just because it's a simple love song you say, well by that definition Rammsteins Du Hast is folk also.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I always wanted to form a band called Folkwind... doing primarily Hawkwind covers but in a folky style. The only one I've got is a slowed down finger picked version of Urban Guerilla, but my tuneless singing and sketchy ability on the guitar doesn't really do it justice.

What about the Wurzels? Are they folk?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
[QUOTE 3194551, member: 1314"]What is 'folk music'? I guess defined here it's just a bunch of twee peeps who booed Dylan when he went electric. [/QUOTE]

Neil Innes kind of summed up Bob Dylan for me in one opening line. I still didn't like Dylan after he went electric.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[QUOTE 3194551, member: 1314"]Why not define 'folk music' instead of shouting 'cock'. You said it first. And I threw in a few ideas as to what I think folk music is.

What is 'folk music'? I guess defined here it's just a bunch of twee peeps who booed Dylan when he went electric. You haven't given an alternative cversion as to what 'folk music' is.

Old Unreconstructed White Men in Power, that's the problem. They still define the thing. Enjoy Joan Baez all, as that's who they want(ed) to sleep with, and therefore she's been endorsed by them.[/QUOTE]

CoG, there's a certain idea of folk music that has connections to hegemonic power, certainly (the Cecil Sharpe kind of tradional English music ideal). But there's always been living folk traditions that had little to do with those kinds of collectors and categorizers. My friends who play Old Time music (see above) learn their songs from older musicians who themselves learned them from old men in their day - there is a living lineage. That's one kind of folk. And then there's people who take folk idioms and do something new with them: write new songs, or innovate stylistically. And this is probably true in any country or in any folk tradition.

But this doesn't mean folk music is anything played by folk. It has come to have certain categorical boundaries, the same way that reggae, rock, blues and whatever have developed categorical boundaries - even though those boundaries are always fuzzy and the closer you look at them, the harder they are to define precisely in any particular case. But @ianrauk is right in the end - there are things that aren't folk and The Buzzcocks aren't - contrast with The Pogues doing 'Dirty Old Town'. You might as well say that The Buzzocks are blues. Or reggae. They aren't those things either.

classic33

Leg End Member

See anything wrong with this old picture?
The Spinners.jpg
Lets leave skin colour out of it.

subaqua

What’s the point

having " been Below" this sticks with me. mainly because when presented with the tally board I would always subconsciously go for number 153. maybe its years of hearing it as a kid.

and yes he is a Folk singer

classic33

Leg End Member

having " been Below" this sticks with me. mainly because when presented with the tally board I would always subconsciously go for number 153. maybe its years of hearing it as a kid.

and yes he is a Folk singer

I have that on LP!

Top Bottom