Best framed new bike <£1000 ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilsy27

Hi, :hello:

I'm considering (....well, am definately going to) upgrading my current bike (Dahon Martix full size folder) to a road bike via the C2W scheme. Usual rules, can spend up to £1000.

My commute is 35 miles round trip from gatwick to croydon and back in the evening.
I'm thinking of going for the best bike frame I can get with the money and then upgrading the components as and when I have the funds as I go along (obviously needs to have some components on there to start with!!
My LBS has a Mekk P2.0 which looks smart - don't know if it can take a pannier or not (maybe a seat post one?) yep, I'm a noob to road bikes so any hints/suggestions great-full. I want to go via my LBS so that rules out Boardman and Ribble.(I believe at least?) but do want to go with an idea of what I'm looking for. In terms of size, I filled out the competitive cyclist form (to the amusement of my "helper"/girlfriend... she did giggle when I was holding a tube under my crotch with her holding a tape measure!! lol (see below for the measurements)

Below are the measurements you entered, followed by our calculations for proper frame size and component positioning. You can refer to these numbers when choosing your frame and component package on-line, and you can keep them handy if you'd like to place an order over the phone.

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 81.00
Trunk: 60.25
Forearm: 36.00
Arm: 65.00
Thigh: 55.00
Lower Leg: 55.00
Sternal Notch: 146.00
Total Body Height: 175

The Competitive Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 52.4 - 52.9
Seat tube range c-t: 54.1 - 54.6
Top tube length: 55.8 - 56.2
Stem Length: 11.2 - 11.8
BB-Saddle Position: 79.3 - 81.3
Saddle-Handlebar: 52.4 - 53.0
Saddle Setback: 2.1 - 2.5

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 53.6 - 54.1
Seat tube range c-t: 55.3 - 55.8
Top tube length: 55.8 - 56.2
Stem Length: 10.1 - 10.7
BB-Saddle Position: 78.5 - 80.5
Saddle-Handlebar: 53.2 - 53.8
Saddle Setback: 3.3 - 3.7

The French Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 55.3 - 55.8
Seat tube range c-t: 57.0 - 57.5
Top tube length: 57.0 - 57.4
Stem Length: 10.3 - 10.9
BB-Saddle Position: 76.8 - 78.8
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.9 - 55.5
Saddle Setback: 2.8 - 3.2

Look forward to any suggestions you have

Cheers

Will :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
What brands does the LBS stock - probably help. The Cannondale CAADs are reckoned to have among the best alu frames, Giant Defys are also highly regarded. The Mekk looks decently specced for the money, but I am not sure I'd want an entry level carbon for 35 miles a day

Most (if not all) carbon bikes won't have pannier mounts nor take full mudguards - best to take the LBS advice on that and get them to fit - I watched the mechanic cussing and swearing as he tried to fit 3 different types of guards to my Giant - rather him than me!

In terms of size and geometry, sit on the bikes, have a test ride, get a bike fit and advice from the LBS

Happy shopping :smile:

OP
OP
Wilsy27

Wilsy27

My local is http://www.mellowmiles.co.uk/ But he can stock more than what's listed (hence having the mekk in stock). I'm going to have a chat with him tomorrow and see what he says.:smile:

Out of curiosity , why wouldn't you go for an entry carbon bike for 35mile commute? Are the ally frames just as good then?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, for the equivalent money - you'll probably be able to fix a rack and mudgaurds more easily too

Top Bottom