Best Free GPX Log Cropping Tool - NOT Strava!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMHO this is something the Strava interface does very well - you load a file, then nice slider controls let you crop out the bits where you dithered in the car-park, or left your GPS on for hours afterwards. etc
For various reasons, I'd like to do this outside of Strava. Suggestions?

n.b.
- not just trim a route - I said a LOG! of a RIDE!
- starting point is a plain text .gpx file, on your PC or your GPS USB-connected drive
- I know how to edit the file in Notepad, but this is pretty slow and painful, and requires you to figure out the start/end timestamps
- <space intentionally left for further notes>

Last edited by a moderator:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Personally I use RouteConverter (https://www.routeconverter.com/downloads/en)

Enables me to remove points from GPX files I don't want (say where the GPS trace went wildly off my actual course), add new ones if needed (where there's a long stretch where no points were plotted for some reason) and even change the timestamps. All with a fairly intuitive map layout.

Thanks. can you trim the ends off a track log? I can't see how :sad:

steverob

Guru
Simply highlight how many positions you want to get rid of in the pane on the right (which will highlight them on the map), then hit the delete key.

Example screenshot:
1655821555091.png

steverob

Guru
Cripes, thanks that's very helpful!
Suspect it might not be ideal if cutting out hundreds of points (e.g. an hour of data), but I'll try it and hopefully get back to you ...
It’s not too bad actually. Click on the map at roughly where you think the start of the area you want to crop is and note down on the right what position number that is. Then scroll the map and do the same with the end point.

With those two numbers you can then click one in the list on the right, hold Shift and click the other, then you’ll have all the points in-between selected and can delete them in a single hit.

Top Bottom