Best Halloween film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slightly OT....

For those who enjoyed TWM (concession to Kirstie) Robin Hardy the Director has written a "sequel" called "Cowboys for Christ" however there are difficulties in the filming:

Young Beth and Steve, a gospel singer and her cowboy boyfriend, both Christian members of a no-sex-before-marriage pact they call 'the silver ring thing', leave Texas to preach door-to-door in Scotland. Scotland and all Europe are as foreign to them as if they were in Papua New Guinea. When, after initial abuse, they are welcomed with joy and elation to Tressock, the border fiefdom of the sinister Lachlan Morrison, they assume thir hosts want to simply hear more about Jesus.

How innocent and wrong they are.

Christopher Lee is signed up as Lachlan Morrison!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Ooh, keep us posted Cunobelin if you hear of any progress...

papercorn2000

He is, but he has made a pact with Satan. Has to drink virgin's blood and commit the odd sacrifice.. but there you go.

Tetedelacourse

By then it will be too late. Your bike chain will have gone or the electrics ripped out of your seaplane. You'll have to spend the night in the room next to the landlord's daughter. Whose bellows you can't help being seduced by.

SamNichols

papercorn2000 said:
Good call, plus best ending ever to a horror film.

The ending of the film is ruined by the line: 'Killing me won't bring back your apples'. That is a terrible line in any film.

Near Dark is a great film, I love vampire stuff and this is one of the best ones in the world.

Tetedelacourse said:
By then it will be too late. Your bike chain will have gone or the electrics ripped out of your seaplane. You'll have to spend the night in the room next to the landlord's daughter. Whose bellows you can't help being seduced by.

And I'll have to blow out the smoking fingertips of a severed hand, and eat blue broad beans...

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
the forst Amitiville always gives me the widgies- esp the bit with the flies;Dog Soldiers is an excellent action horror if you're after something more contemporary.

papercorn2000

SamNichols said:
The ending of the film is ruined by the line: 'Killing me won't bring back your apples'. That is a terrible line in any film.

Near Dark is a great film, I love vampire stuff and this is one of the best ones in the world.

The name sounded familiar but when I googled it, I realised that I haven't seen it. I will definitely look out for it.

SamNichols said:

Sorry, but I disagree... It is the "normality" of this line that echoes the sudden impact of how Howie is trying to come to terms with the fact that he is being sacrificed, and trying to rationally argue why it shouldn't happen. It is a real response and all the more effective for it - To me a "great line" would be less dramatic or effective.

SamNichols

Cunobelin said:
Sorry, but I disagree... It is the "normality" of this line that echoes the sudden impact of how Howie is trying to come to terms with the fact that he is being sacrificed, and trying to rationally argue why it shouldn't happen. It is a real response and all the more effective for it - To me a "great line" would be less dramatic or effective.

There is no 'normality' to that line - to me it just doesn't ring true. I'm not saying that I want a 'great line', I would rather no line at all.

The film just doesn't do it for me though.

SamNichols

papercorn2000 said:
The name sounded familiar but when I googled it, I realised that I haven't seen it. I will definitely look out for it.

Yup, it's great... you can normally get it in the two disc edition in Virgin pretty cheaply: the documentary on it is one of the best DVD extras I have seen.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Night of the Hunter is a great scary film

A lot of the current scary films seem more comic horror, but we seem to have turned a corner with Hostel, Saw, TCM etc and have hit a real violent realistic type horror.

Suspense is scary, and makes for the most shocking films

Top Bottom