Best Hip-Hop Album?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Old favourites:

A Tribe Called Quest - any of their first albums.
Beastie Boys - 'Paul's Boutique'
Erik B. and Rakim - 'Paid in Full'
Digital Underground were quite fun too

More recently, I really rate Common, but not his most recent album. Love MC Solaar, plus also Roots Manuva from the UK. A lot of the Wu-tang spin-off projects are pretty good, especially those involving the RZA - I really like his soundtrack to Jim Jarmusch's 'Ghost Dog' (which is also a great film). I also quite like some of the Latino hip-hop that came out of LA in the 1990s, before it all went totally gangsta - particulalry Delinquent Habits' 'Here Come the Horns', which does a great job of mixing NWA with mariachi brass.

monnet

Guru
Best Hip hop? Surely anything off the Quannum label.
I'd go for Maroons - Ambush but Blazing Arrow by Blackalicious is pretty hot (basically anything with Chief Xcel and Lateef).

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Some really good suggestions here - cheers guys! Will have to put them on my list of albums to get.

FM - yeah have the Ghost Dog soundtrack - really good - I esp. like the scene in the film where RZA gives a 'kung fu' bow to Ghost Dog as he's walking along...

Oh, I quite like the album by The Roots called The Tipping Point, which is sort-of hip-hop, sort of other genres and all pretty good.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Ah, The Roots, I've got a few by them - they are amonst the few hip-hop acts who play real instruments (which is why it sounds different!).

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Not really sure what constitutes the Hip-Hop label, but I used to love the Run DMC- Raising Hell album. Eeeeeh, when I were a lad.... :biggrin:

Been listening to all sorts recently, I kinda like some of the stuff by MF Doom (how does he get the words out so fast?!?!?!) and also the Rising Tied album by Fort Minor.

So much music, not enough time! :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'd love to see a hippety-hoppety group sample this:

Tetedelacourse

3ft High and Rising was a blip in an otherwise completely crap career for De La Soul. A pal bought and lent their greatest hits album and everything on it that's not from 3ft is shite with a capital SH.

SamNichols

I forgot about MF Doom. He's great, I especially like: 'mm food' as an album.
Along a more trip-hop route, the first clouddead album is brilliant, although it doesn't fit into the category of hiphop too comfortably (also, don't listen to it late at night: it scares the wits out of me if I fall asleep with it on).

Beastie Boys later stuff is more hiphop than the early stuff, I far prefer the later stuff too. I've forgotten the name of the album, but the one when they're in a sardine tin on the front is great.

red_tom

Roots Manuva's Brand New Second Hand and Run Come Save Me are really good.

We saw him at Brixton a while back, he was hanging around after the show chatting with people for hours - none of your stuck up rapper bs.

monnet

Guru
Blackstar (Mos Def and Talib Kweli) is also top notch stuff as are all but the most recent solo albums by them.

Gangstarr's The Moment of Truth is also a cracking album for 'keeping it real'.

I'm also surprised that no-one has mentioned Jurassic 5. The first EP and the first full length album were both great although after that they seemed to be repeating themselves.

Dave G

>Was the first Beastie Boys album Hip Hop?

You mean 'Some Old Bullsh*t' (although technically not an album)? Not really, as the Beasties came from a Hardcore background......(listen to Egg Raid On Mojo). "Cookie Puss" is certainly hip hop.

IMHO their best album is 'Check your Head'.

Trivia: After The Joshua Tree album, Bono played U2 'Pauls Boutique' to demonstrate how a band could diversify and reinvent themselves (following the B.Boys 'Licenced to Ill' album). The result was Achtung Baby.

Top Bottom