1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Lube For Commuting

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by gazzaputt, 24 Sep 2007.

1. gazzaputt

gazzaputt New Member

What have you found to be the best?

On my weekend bikes I use White Lighting Self cleaning wax lube but have found on a commute this collects a lot of grime.

Finish Line Cross Country although stays on really gunks up.

2. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

This stuff works for me

MOTOREX DRY LUBE hat staub- und schmutzabweisende Eigenschaften. Dieses biologisch abbaubare Kettenschmiermittel ist für die Schmierung bei trockenen, staubigen Bedingungen entwickelt worden. Es zeichnet sich durch exzellente Kettenhaftung aus. DRY LUBE schmiert auch alle beweglichen Teile wie Freilauf, Schaltungsteile und Kabelläufe. Anwendung: Trockene, gereinigte Kette und Wechsler betätigen und dabei auftragen. Den Kontakt mit den Bremsen vermeiden, um die Bremswirkung nicht zu beeinträchtigen.

I've used their products on motorbikes in all weathers for the past 10 years with total satisfaction. I've had no problems with their Dry Lube on tarmac or converted railway beds.

3. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I use finish line dry (teflon). Yes it does wash off in the rain, but so long as I take some with me and quickly reapply it if I get caught in a downpour it works well. The main advantage is that it doesn't attract dirt and so clog up as much.

4. Maz

Maz Guru

I think I'm missing something. What is the lube for? Is it for oiling the chain?

5. For my commuter the FL cross country does me fine, on the road bike I use FL Pro Road but its a bit more expensive otherwise I'd use it on the commuter too. Other people advised me agains White lighting as it doesn't lubricate as well and hence parts can wear out more quickly.

6. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

finish line dry for my bikes. With a wet commute and mudguards, i'm ok for the return home before re-lubing and it's pretty good at staying clean

7. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Just a thought, has anyone ever tried using KY?

8. Cab

Cab New Member

Not on the bike I haven't.

9. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

What a way to refer to your other half! :biggrin::ohmy:

10. Alcdrew

Alcdrew Senior Member

I tened to use ThreeBond 1801b as a general squirty lube and some KF64F for after a good old de-grease/clean.

Neither of which are avalibe to the public:biggrin:

11. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

I can't even be bothered to lube my bike up on a weekly basis so no gears and finish line wet lube sees me just fine through all weathers.

12. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

You're meant to lube your chain? *cough*

13. Maz

Maz Guru

I asked the same question earlier in this thread, too. Seems that those in the know are reluctant to say what this 'lube' is actually used for.

14. Cab

Cab New Member

I also use a teflon spray. Excellent for regular use. Don't apply it every day, or even every week, but I use either that or a regular bike oil a couple of times a month on the chain and gears.