Best maintenance manual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatless

Über Member
Do you use any of the books about maintenance? Zinn or Parks or one of the others? Or do you use websites like Sheldon Brown? I'd like advice on whether to buy one of the books or not.

Welcome to CC

If you are going to buy one you've got Zinn, Rich Ballantine and there is one over that I cant think of. But the best is shaldon's website if you have time to get to it?.

OP
OP
H

hatless

Über Member
Yes, I've spent quite a lot of time reading Sheldon's website. I swapped a couple of emails with him, only a few weeks before he died. You don't think there's anything in a book that isn't on his website, then?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Parktools website takes some beating

Interesting developments with a fair few videos about showing folk how to fix nearly everything. worth searching youtube if you need to see a video

ASC1951

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
As said, the web is far better.
True, but it's lot easier to have something spread out on your kitchen table that you can check while you have the cogs in your oily hands.

I've never bought a maintainence book. Bikes are right at the simple end of mechanical tasks and unlike cars they're all basically the same. Sheldon and Park Tools save you some hassle on things like adjusting derailleur cables, but that's about it.

Sheldon also reminds you that some jobs, e.g. dismantling and servicing cassettes, are things no sane person does, even those of us who would skin a louse for threepence.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
ASC1951 said:
True, but it's lot easier to have something spread out on your kitchen table that you can check while you have the cogs in your oily hands.
I saw a Park Tools Book when I was in a LBS yesterday. It was sealed so I couldn't flick through the pages to see how it compared to the web.

Top Bottom