Best/most efficient type of electric fire ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I don't understand what "efficient" even means in the context of a heater. A more efficient energy transformation converts a greater % of energy into the form you want (in this case, heat) and a smaller % into ... er ... waste heat. But it's not waste if you want the heat ...
I just assumed that in the 10 years(ish) since we last purchased that "someone" would have designed one that heats the room quicker. Not bothered too much about running costs as its only on for 30 minutes. The one we have seemed to take a long long time to heat the room.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Move to Cape Town. It's hot there now and there's no water so you can't shower anyway.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have an oil filled heater which is useful if you want to heat one room for a few hours. For a bathroom, which presumably needs a fast heat up for a short time. I'd use an encased element convector heater. We have one of those too. We use it in our spare room if one of us wants to spend an hour or so in there without putting on the upstairs central heating. They're cheap enough to buy and warm the air quickly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why not just run the present towel rail from a timer which turns it on in time to heat the room before you use it?

The house that I now live in has radiators everywhere except for the bathroom ... Which genius thought that the room that you get naked and wet in is the only one that does not need heating! :laugh:

Anyway, an electric towel rail has now been fitted. It is only 750W so it does take some time to take the chill off the room. I either switch it on using a timer in advance of getting up, or do it manually before a bike ride so the room is warm for my post-ride shower. I can't see the problem with that.

If you insist on a more powerful solution, why not use a 2 kW fanheater to blast the room for a few minutes before you go in? I hate fanheaters because they are noisy, but that doesn't matter if you are not in the room at the time, and they ARE very effective. [DAMN - 'not read previous post' error! :okay:]

Top Bottom