Best online spectacle company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As it says, where is best to go for normal (ie. Not cycling / sports specific) prescription spectacles, online?
Not necessarily the cheapest, but best for quality and service?

TIA

👓

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I use contacts bought online from Lenstore. They are in themselves fantastic but as the name suggests for lenses.

BUT...I get a free annual eye test at any Vision Express store. They have a huge range and their testing is modern and thorough. Once all the hands on stuff is done in store you can deal with them online.

Tom B

Guru
Late to this thread.

I've used several online but prefer speckyfoureyes and always go back. The homebrand sfe range is sensible quality and price. But you have to keep looking back for brands as they change regularly.

All that said I've just got two pairs with lenses with lens treatment for £55 from glasses direct. My prescription has moderate astigmatism content and minimal length so basic lenses suit me.

Levo-Lon

Guru
How can this work, how do they know how to fit lenses so the centre spot is correctly cut into a frame, frame fit?
Id love to try a online spec shop and save a few hundred but i cant get past how they will fit you from a app

Adam4868

Guru
How can this work, how do they know how to fit lenses so the centre spot is correctly cut into a frame, frame fit?
Id love to try a online spec shop and save a few hundred but i cant get past how they will fit you from a app
I've bought glasses online and sent my frames off to have my prescription put in without any problems.I know what you mean though,never really thought about that.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've bought glasses online and sent my frames off to have my prescription put in without any problems.I know what you mean though,never really thought about that.

That would make sense.
I'm not too bad with glasses as i just bend and shape to fit.

My wife has a very complex prescription, thyroid eye disease, her scrip has to be perfect or she cant see properly.

I think she was blind when she met me :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glasses Direct. Bought 2 pairs with an upto date prescription, so impressed, I sent them my Oakley Jacknife's for 'transitions lenses'. Perfect.

As an added bonus, managed to lose a pair of glasses on holiday - freak wave. Was able to access my glasses Direct on-line account, and go and take the prescription to a local opticians in Spain. They had me sorted within an hour (went to a bar whilst they made some glasses up).

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
As an added bonus, managed to lose a pair of glasses on holiday - freak wave. Was able to access my glasses Direct on-line account, and go and take the prescription to a local opticians in Spain. They had me sorted within an hour (went to a bar whilst they made some glasses up).
I thought you said your vision was blurred with the new glasses, at least initially? :whistle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
As it says, where is best to go for normal (ie. Not cycling / sports specific) prescription spectacles, online?
Not necessarily the cheapest, but best for quality and service?

TIA

👓

Not necessarily the cheapest but the best for quality and service is a good independent optician, especially if, like me, you take a varifocal that requires careful measurement and proportioning of the zones. I simply would not trust an online seller to get this right especially as my local guy takes a good ten minutes just measuring, checking and considering. As a regular customer I get top service such as a free repair recently when the bridge of my frameless specs snapped. He also has a rare retinal MRI scanner, which he uses for patients sent to him by the NHS and he doesn't charge me the £50 fee for doing an eye health-check you won't get at many other opticians.

Top Bottom