Best online spectacle company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not necessarily the cheapest but the best for quality and service is a good independent optician, especially if, like me, you take a varifocal that requires careful measurement and proportioning of the zones. I simply would not trust an online seller to get this right especially as my local guy takes a good ten minutes just measuring, checking and considering. As a regular customer I get top service such as a free repair recently when the bridge of my frameless specs snapped. He also has a rare retinal MRI scanner, which he uses for patients sent to him by the NHS and he doesn't charge me the £50 fee for doing an eye health-check you won't get at many other opticians.
I'm beginning to think this. I have varifocals and wonder how online companies get the 'sweet spot' right, and adjust the lens accordingly.
I might go for some online sunglasses that only get used for distance rather than close up/reading.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've used glassesdirect for my last two pairs of varifocals and they've been great. I have a much stronger prescription in one eye, so that lens is much thicker and hence heavier than the other and I've had glasses which end up wonky on my face, but with glassesdirect, using their top range, they were spot on. I paid £180 and at my last eye test my optician quoted me £750.
Maybe I was lucky, but for the pupil distance apart, I used their method of photoing with a credit card for scale and it worked. I would imagine the vast majority of people would be ok with this (unless you're a Marty Feldman lookalike).

Top Bottom