Best place to watch the Tour finish in Paris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunc

In view of the historic event of a Briton winning the Tour (touch wood, fingers crossed etc, etc and posting this before the last day in the Pyrenees has finished) I have decided to bundle the family in the car and head off to Paris for the weekend.

Can anyone give any advice on where the best place to see the action will be? Will it be possible to get a good view on the Champs Elysee or will it be better further out?

I have seen the Tour live a couple of times in the past - once when it came to the UK and once in Paris .... but that was a few years ago and I didn't hang around for the finish (just saw it as it came into Paris) as it was only another Armstrong win!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There isn't any action before Paris! If you stand at the roadside anywhere before Paris, you'll just see the tour riders parade past once with big smiles on their faces. You need to be on the finishing circuit somewhere, preferably near a big screen showing the action, or with a smartphone and watching streaming coverage. as they hammer round in the build up to the sprint.

I watched the TdF go by in Kent and it was a lot of hanging about for a couple of minutes of watching the peloton whiz by.

I also watched the stage finish in Brighton years before. I got grandstand tickets and watched the big screen to keep up with the stage until the riders arrived - that was pretty exciting.

OP
OP
D

Dunc

Thanks Colin. Yes, I had pretty much the same experience in Kent. Also last time in Paris, I was in the city but not on the finishing circuit, so it was pretty much the same .... a lot of waiting and then 20 seconds of action!

I guess we need to be on the Champs Elysee or somewhere around Jardin De Tuileries.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Try to get onto the Rue de Rivoli at the back of the Park as they come out of the tunnel under the Louvre. It does get crowded but the riders are only feet away as the race past. That is where I stood last year. it is hard to get onto the Champs Elysee

OP
OP
D

Dunc

Thanks, will try for a spot there. Any idea how difficult it is to get on the Champs Elysee once the race has finished? Would be great to be there for the final presentation.

festival

Über Member
Its not hard to get on the Champs Elysee but very hard to get a good view.
On the corner of Place de la Concorde, entering the Champs is a spectacular viewing point, seeing the Peloton sweep off the Rue de Rivoli and across the Place is worth getting there early for.
I think they may have moved the barriers further away since i last went but its still a great spot.
You probably wont get close enough to see the finish but soak up the atmosphere and enjoy.

Top Bottom