best position for descending

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Someone done a study and worked out which position is the fastest for descending , turns out froomes position is not the best .
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...-329475?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAxaAAAAJDMzYWVmMDBlLTU5YmMtNDIxOC05MTM0LTBkMmRkNGQ5NThmZA-e1494325136224.jpe

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Based on the assumption that all riders either aren’t pedalling while descending or are pedalling with the same amount of power" - so which of the three "faster" than the "Froome" position can you actually pedal in? I'm not sure you can in any of them.

I think even Sagan uses the "Froome" position while pedalling and then pushes back into "Top tube safe" when coasting, as seen here in Richmond:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9kXwI9_fc

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I favoured the left hand holding the to of the bars right next to stem. Flat back and the right arm behind the back.

Jody

Stubborn git
When the situation permits I use the Pantani. Difficult on a MTB with nobblies but can still get up to nearly 50. You can tell the difference qith wind resistance as soon as you sit back up. I don't like the look of Froome or top tube "safe". Looks completely the opposite to safe to me.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
These are tuck positions when you run out of gears. "Back Down" has got me to 60mph. The others are bloody scary.
Yup , me too , sometimes i use a variation with the hands on the hooked over the tops ala TT position if its a straight descent .

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Pfft, call those aero positions?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Back when I was about 14-15, I had a neat trick which was riding the bike from a position seated on the rear rack. No hands on the bars, of course. I was able to pedal from that position. And steer. Maybe Pantani would have been even faster with a rack on the back of his bike.

I've tried the "Top tube safe" position but it definitely does not feel "safe" to me at speed. My preferred descending position is somewhere between "Back horizontal" and "Back down" depending on how flexible I'm feeling. I try to look where I'm going though, not at my front wheel like the dudes in the illustrations.

Top Bottom