Best position to overtake cyclists on a dual carriageway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1.5 metre in 30mph or less. Dual carriageways are at least 40mph, and the guidance is 2 metres in higher speed limit zones.

Not that I drive vrry much at all now, but Id go compleyely into lane 2, exaclty as I would were i overtaking anything else. Other advantages then include you being more visible and having a better field of view and arcs of vision.

Dont wait until youre about to go oast before pulling out. It feels very unnatural, but pull across well ahead - this opens up your visibility, gives room to reach an appropriate speed and offers the space and opportunity to safely abort and move back to the left if required. And don't attempt to overtake u tul you are in a position to complete the maneuver in one hit.

Ill stick to my Class 1 training, and not some nodule from Pooptube land.

It seems that most cars reach max clearance some distance ahead of me. They pull out too late and still pulling out as they pass.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The straddle does protect the cyclist in case the vehicle behind has not seen the cyclist.
I don't believe the vehicle behind was autonomous or had any kind of Volvo-style cyclist detection system, so it will not see the cyclist anyway — and if its driver hasn't seen the cyclist, they'll just stay in lane 1 and run the cyclist over once the crap straddling overtaker has passed instead of while they're passing.

I guess there's a chance that the crap straddling overtaker may provoke the cyclist into doing something attention-grabbing, like asking the straddler if they want some Gold Blend or wishing an unexpected bovine incursion on their route, but it's a rather convoluted justification for a reckless overtake.

It also stops an impatient motorist attempting to squeeze between the cyclist and the vehicle that might have moved to lane 2.
It doesn't because an impatient motorist will just use the left shoulder to pass the straddler unless they were dangerously close to the cyclist.

As long as the clearance is 1.5m, that should be fine.
Only if it's 30mph or below.

My driving instructor told me to use the whole lane - not straddle. Ok that was 35 years back but I see no reason to change now.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Dual carriageways are at least 40mph,

Do you not have any in Posshire that are lower than that?

I ask because I know of DCs in Glasgow with a 30mph limit. One of them has 6 lanes but the council says there’s no room for a cycle lane on it! 👇
690F3166-0040-4D7C-AF26-FB7A6BB375BA.jpeg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, of course they do. This little one (A428 St Peter's Way) is almost as good as your example, with 5 lanes across, a wide central divider, wide footways that people hate walking along because it's next to speeding motorists or fuming jams most of the day, plus fences and low scrubby hedgerows, but still no space for cycleways: https://showmystreet.com/#v3jw3_-j8pa_81.n_-2i43

I could also have picked the A508 Horse Market or Broad Street going up the hill, or part of Wellingborough Road (might be A4500, I forget) which have all of the above except fences and hedgerows. I think few others used to be dual carriageway but right-turn lanes have widened and lengthened and removed so much of the centre divider that it's a bit debatable if they are single or dual now. Poshshire is really not great at urban cycling.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

I ask because I know of DCs in Glasgow with a 30mph limit. One of them has 6 lanes but the council says there’s no room for a cycle lane on it! 👇
View attachment 599192
Yes, we have dual carriageways in Tyneside too, some are 30mph, at least in part. That is why I used the words “at least” and mentioned speed differential. Didn’t feel it appropriate to give an advanced driving lesson however.

It would appear that Council’s aversion to cycle provision is common, even, perhaps, universal ;)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes, we have dual carriageways in Tyneside too, some are 30mph, at least in part. That is why I used the words “at least” and mentioned speed differential. Didn’t feel it appropriate to give an advanced driving lesson however.

It would appear that Council’s aversion to cycle provision is common, even, perhaps, universal ;)

Thanks. I only queried the point because Drago’s statement was absolute : “Dual carriageways are at least 40mph”.

Top Bottom