best rack top bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
bonj said:
cheers, that looks good.

what I dont' get is, how is that 11 litres, while
this
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Ortlieb-Ortlieb-Rack-Pack-49-ltr-15611.htm
is a massive 49 litres? :smile:
they look about the same size, unless i'm completely misinterpreting the scale of the pictures?

49 litres is massive. If you read the description, that size is ideally suited to a Bob trailer. I don't know why they describe that size as a rack pack as it's clearly not. There are smaller sizes. I've seen them in the flesh but couldn't work out how they attached to a rack though:wacko:.

Randochap

Senior hunter
bonj said:
cheers, that looks good.

what I dont' get is, how is that 11 litres, while
this
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Ortlieb-Ortlieb-Rack-Pack-49-ltr-15611.htm
is a massive 49 litres? :smile:
they look about the same size, unless i'm completely misinterpreting the scale of the pictures?

Go to the source. It's not designed as a "rack top bag" in the same sense that the Arkel, etc. is.

longers

Legendary Member
The one Greenbank recommends looks very reasonable at that price, the Arkel one looks very well designed and made, the fourtynine litre Ortlieb one could be used as a bodybag.

Am I wrong for sticking with a single pannier?
If I'm happy with it would a rack top bag be an improvement?
I guess a pannier creates more drag into a headwind, other than that I don't see any disadvantages. Any advice please?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

longers said:
The one Greenbank recommends looks very reasonable at that price, the Arkel one looks very well designed and made, the fourtynine litre Ortlieb one could be used as a bodybag.

I guess a pannier creates more drag into a headwind, other than that I don't see any disadvantages. Any advice please?

i'm wondering whether there's any pictures of the ortlieb one next to some other object for size comparison...i take it it's absolutely massive then?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
The Ortliebs come in different sizes. The one you've seen if the XL, so yes it's absolutely massive for a rack pack. Just compare the litre capacities of the smaller versions with other rack packs you've seen.

Woz!

longers said:

I've got a single pannier too, but I've noticed that with the amount I'm carrying on my commute it's distorting the rack. All the weight's on one side - and there's now a 5-7cm gap on one side of the wheel and only maybe 2cm on the other!
My pannier's also managed to snag in one of my wheels during a particularly vigorous bit of uphill. I've learned to keep the bike more upright now though.

longers

Legendary Member
Cheers Woz, I've been commuting and knocking about with just one if that's all I need to use for the circumstances, I've just been and checked and it's still straight :ohmy:.

I was thinking more for use on long rides.

col

Legendary Member
I use a cheap fix, until I get one of these great looking racktop bags, that is a shoe case of my sons. It was meant for his football boots when he was younger, and is the ideal size to go on the rack with the supplied bungee type straps, gets everything in I want and is easily accessible with two zips going half way round the edge.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a model from the Trek Interchange range. It sits atop the rack, but has fold-down minipanniers should you want them and the top can expand as well.

73051.jpg

GrahamG

Guru
Discount the ortlieb 'rack pack' description. The smaller ones might just be strapped to a fully loaded tourer with panniers either side but otherwise it's a trailer bag.

Much as I lusted after the Arkel bag, for occasional use I just couldn't justify it so went for the Edinburgh Bike Coop 'revolution' version. It's been great so far, very solid fixing (simple four velcro straps), waterproof cover, extra bottle store, bungee straps on top and padded base (prob 5mm+ foam).

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C417&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c012372c012369

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Morrisette said:
Another vote for the Altura Arran - I use mine for my commute, it's fine, and can fit quite a lot okf stuff in it (lunch, waterproofs, repair kit, book, bits and bobs). A laptop won't fit in it though.

does it fasten onto the rack securely?

Top Bottom