best rack top bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I'm looking for a pannier bag that fastens to a proper rack, rather than just the seatpost, but that doesn't hang down the sides. I gather the proper term for these is rack top bags....
Any recommendations?
I saw some ortlieb ones and quite like the brand reputation and colour, but do they have fastenings to secure to the rack or are they just a generic holdall? (Or both, which would be best?)

montage

God Almighty
How big are these bags usually? big enough to fit folders?
(Sorry Bonj I am also looking at these :blush:)

Greenbank

Über Member
I've got a: Creek2Peak rackpack. Works a treat. Expands to take a bit more stuff. I did a 3-day ride from London to Edinburgh (staying in travelodges and B&Bs) using it. I'll be using it for LEL too. http://www.greenbank.org/misc/le13.jpg

3 velcro straps (two underneath and one at the front) attach it securely to the rack (with the 3rd strap going through the rack or round the seatpost, depending on your rack setup).

The other two choices for Audaxing are the Agu Yamaska 475 rack pack, or one of the Carradice rack packs (the Prima Top Bag or the Super C rackbag).

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've got the Arkel Tailrider and am delighted with it, you can search my posts for how much I can fit in it. Attachment is via 4 velcro straps so positioning to different racks is easy.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

MacBludgeon said:
I've got the Arkel Tailrider and am delighted with it, you can search my posts for how much I can fit in it. Attachment is via 4 velcro straps so positioning to different racks is easy.

how many fags can you fit in it?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Greenbank said:
I've got a: Creek2Peak rackpack. Works a treat. Expands to take a bit more stuff. I did a 3-day ride from London to Edinburgh (staying in travelodges and B&Bs) using it. I'll be using it for LEL too. http://www.greenbank.org/misc/le13.jpg

3 velcro straps (two underneath and one at the front) attach it securely to the rack (with the 3rd strap going through the rack or round the seatpost, depending on your rack setup).

The other two choices for Audaxing are the Agu Yamaska 475 rack pack, or one of the Carradice rack packs (the Prima Top Bag or the Super C rackbag).

nice one cheers :evil: they look good...

Redvers

I bought the Altura arran expanding rack pack 3 years ago, at the time it was the only one I could find.
It’s proved itself on a number of tours, it’s lightweight, fixes securely to the rack, can be quickly removed and used as a shoulder bag and seems to be pretty much waterproof. Approx 8 Litres plus side and top pockets.
On a five day tour to France last year it was the only luggage I took!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

MacBludgeon said:
plenty, they don't take up much room and are pretty lightweight, why, are you thinking of taking it up?

no, god no. Do you ever feel though that a rack top bag isn't enough for the amount of fags you need?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
bonj said:
no, god no. Do you ever feel though that a rack top bag isn't enough for the amount of fags you need?

So far but if I run out of room I'll get a bigger bag. If we can try to move away from your fixations with my habits, you'll see that I'm not the only one recommending the Arkel. Rando's review had a lot to do with my decision to purchase it. The size is deceptive as the Arkel expands upwards as you put more in. Hence the very low/small appearance when not fully loaded. This suited me as I wanted a bag to go on all bikes carrying the basics of tubes/tools etc. But would also be able to accomodate me for my commute if I wasn't transporting the laptop.

But if you feel my view is tainted by a pall of smoke, feel free to ignore

Top Bottom