Front Rack / Pannier Alternative - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I recently put a SA 8 speed hub on my 1991 Super Galaxy ( it already has the braze ons for rack bolts ) as the original drive train was pretty much worn out and the SA was available from a previous bike.
However, the drawback is that now, much of the weight; with a rear rackbag & one pannier, is mostly at the back of the bike.
I have thought of the feasibility of installing front racks & panniers instead, thus shifting the weight more evenly across the bike. Obviously, it'll affect the steering / handling to a point, but is it worth the effort - ? I'm unlikely to be touring as such, but I do carry a fair bit of 'just in case' stuff when I go out - ! :laugh:
Thoughts - ? :whistle:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I recently put a SA 8 speed hub on my 1991 Super Galaxy ( it already has the braze ons for rack bolts ) as the original drive train was pretty much worn out and the SA was available from a previous bike.
However, the drawback is that now, much of the weight; with a rear rackbag & one pannier, is mostly at the back of the bike.
I have thought of the feasibility of installing front racks & panniers instead, thus shifting the weight more evenly across the bike. Obviously, it'll affect the steering / handling to a point, but is it worth the effort - ? I'm unlikely to be touring as such, but I do carry a fair bit of 'just in case' stuff when I go out - ! :laugh:
Thoughts - ? :whistle:

Can't imagine how you can get enough weight in a single pannier and rack top bag to be a problem. Full touring with just rear panniers is fine.

Baldy

Über Member
My touring buke is fitted out for front panniers as well as rear (see avatar). I've never actually used all four together, come to think of it I've never used the front rack. Quite often get away with the two small bags on the back plus the tent flat on the back rack.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I quite fancy one of those racks on the front of my bike. When I tour I have a Carradice handlebar bag and like having maps, rain jacket, sun cream to hand.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Can't imagine how you can get enough weight in a single pannier and rack top bag to be a problem.
Maybe I'm just getting old then, but with the weight of the SA 8 alone being about 1.8kg., it seems a lot along with my 'normal extras' that I invariably carry in the rackbag whenever I need to lift the back of the bike up - ! :laugh:
Regarding those 'normal extras', I work on the same basis as some other Forum members of having enough tools etc. on board to get me home if I have a breakdown out in the sticks; also a hangover when I worked late shifts twelve miles from home. :okay:
Unlike some of the more serious roadies I've come across who, when I stop to offer help because they carry almost nothing to 'save weight', they respond to the effect that they've just phoned 'the wife' who is on her way to collect them. :whistle:
My GLW doesn't drive and I wouldn't be that selfish anyway. :tongue:

the snail

Guru
I would look at a handlebar bag, which avoids the weight/faff of front pannier racks, and is convenient to access for stuff you use on a day ride.

Top Bottom