Tortec Velocity Pannier rack and mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've also got two other Tortec racks, the Ultralight and the Expedition and both those mount parallel, so l don't foresee there being a problem, he said....🙏
Looking at my photos, I wonder if I could have got those black rods to work the other way up? I think that I did try but it was a few years ago now and I don't trust my memory these days!

Fitting will vary anyway from one type and size of bike to another. I'm sure that you will get your rack to fit and will like it!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Well the new "Velocity" rack arrived this afternoon and without further ado, off to the shed l went!
Pretty straightforward fitment, and l also had to cut 100mm of the two angled bars that secure thecrack to the seat stays as they were fouling the mudguard.
On the plus side, l also got it pretty much parallel to the ground as well, not quite perfect, but near enough.
The only minor thing l'm not happy about, in order to get the rack parallel, l've had to use the second hole in the support rods. I usually like to use the first one as l think it looks a lot neater.
My OCD may get the better of me in time and l may end up filing the end down and remove the "excess" bit of bar and then spraying it gloss black.
Its certainly a close fit to the mudguard stays and also the mudguard, but at least its all fitted and looks great!
20240427_205235.jpg

20240427_205253.jpg

20240427_205315.jpg

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Can anyone see an issue with flipping the mounting blocks to the top instead of having them underneath like l originally had them, see first photo above

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
So having them this way means l can get the rack perfectly parallel. This isn't to satisfy my OCD (but it does help...lol) but after trying the pannier position and even with the panniers mounted as far back as l could get them, there was a potential heel strike situation, albeit very minor.
Getting the rack parallel means the position of the panniers are now slightly further away from my heels on the bottom corner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Well, I did a shortish road test (35 miles) a couple of days ago with one loaded pannier which is my normal payload for a two or three-day trip. Didn't notice any real difference with the overall stability of the bike, but I did notice that with just one pannier the rack wasn't prone to anywhere near flexing like it did with one pannier mounted on the Tortec Expedition rack. Which I suspect is much better for the longevity of the frame of the bike!
I've also figured that with a bit of a faffing about, I have managed to mount the pannier (s) a little bit further back on the rack, so no issues at all now with possible heel strike.
So, in conclusion, really happy with that now :dance:

Last edited:
Top Bottom