Best ride of the year!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Today was "The one":biggrin:

I've put a little effort into planning for my commutes over the last few weeks and have even adjusted my diet to assist, now the warm mornings are here I feel so much happier on a bike that during the more limited rides I made through the winter (I wish I could have been more motivated in the cold and the dark and made one or two extra rides in...still I didn't too bad)

I've switched from riding on 3 consecutive days to 3 alternate (allowing a days rest that revolves around sport as well...all very dull and technical)

But today it all paid off.

after a 15-16 mile run, I felt better than I've ever done, was awash with energy, had seemed to have picked up "someone elses" somewhere along the way ...I sprinted (proper standing up!) for around a mile up from the embankment (in London) through to Kensington Olyimpia ...so fast the I spun out and had to sit down (laughing to myself)

after which I carried on at a record pace to the office (another couple of miles)...but stayed in the saddle except for the lumpy bits when I stood up and allowed a little spring to my "step".

I could have done another 10 miles, not just because of the energy, but it was just such fun.

Best of all...my computer has been down since December when the pick up battery died in the cold...I haven't replaced it as i like riding a little blind and not getting too into my personal best....s for now, its just a clock

But when I looked at the clock I found have completed my run.... in 56 minutes...that's almost 10 minutes quicker than I usually do.

Wonder how the journey home will be, cant wait to find out!

amazing what a bit of sun can do

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
"The One" here too. Looks like it will be getting a lot warmer from this weekend, so today was the last of the cool rides. And the rain has to come down again at some point.
Quickest ever - 18.9 average speed and almost 20 for the first 10 minutes.

Was more shattered than laughing when I got there, but been grinning ever since.

Downward

Guru
It was about 0.2 degrees when I left. Hands were freezing. No idea how long it took me to get in either as I tend to cruise the last 2 miles so I can walk into work without a drop of sweat on me !!

potsy

Rambler
Downward said:
It was about 0.2 degrees when I left. Hands were freezing. No idea how long it took me to get in either as I tend to cruise the last 2 miles so I can walk into work without a drop of sweat on me !!
Same here Downward,except it was my feet that were freezing,hands OK but I'm back to wearing all my winter stuff again(base layer,shirt,jacket and tights) trouble is for the way home I'm well overdressed.
Nice to be out in the sunshine though,be even better when it's warmed up a bit.

Downward

Guru
Downward said:

Hmm Ironically I got to work in the quickest time ever. Add to that on Monday evening I got home in the quickest time ever.

Mind you it's not so much pootling as getting lucky with the traffic i think.

Downward

Guru
potsy said:
Same here Downward,except it was my feet that were freezing,hands OK but I'm back to wearing all my winter stuff again(base layer,shirt,jacket and tights) trouble is for the way home I'm well overdressed.
Nice to be out in the sunshine though,be even better when it's warmed up a bit.

Yeah homewards just a long sleeve jersey. Had to carry the rest in my bag for a chilly start tomorrow.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Best two weeks of the year so far for me. Assuming I make it through tomorrow, then I'll have completed two full house weeks of commuting, so almost 450 miles.

Downward

Guru
BentMikey said:
Best two weeks of the year so far for me. Assuming I make it through tomorrow, then I'll have completed two full house weeks of commuting, so almost 450 miles.

Thats great, In 3 months I did that many miles so it's fair going

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I only wish it was, had my worst friday legs today than i have had the whole year. Total pain and unfortunately my last mile is a climb all the way!
I've bumped my commute up to 15miles each way, which is only just an hour more. but it's on much faster roads and i'm keeping up a higher average speed, but i'm certainly feeling it!

Top Bottom