Best Road Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Bike should be back from the repair shop, for its final tune/setup

Looking for a spare (next set of tyres) for my bike. Ive currently got a pair of continental comp3's (iirc). Is there anything out there that will out perform these?

I hate punctures and really dont care that much about comfort, obviously grip is needed!

Contis gatter skins A+ they are worth the money

For my winter/ training bike (a flst bar roadbike) I opted for Conti 4 Season's as they seemed a good all rounder. My summer bike has Conti GP's, that's what came with the bike and I've had no need to change them. I'm not too experienced with different models but compared to Spesh I like the contis.

walker

spandex said:
???

Why if there good there good!

Gators give good grip in all weather conditions but weigh the same as a small baby and as far as I know they come in a 25c and up.

the Conti and the Michelins are a good road tyre with maximum grip in pretty much all conditions, and have really low rolling resistance

Tynan

Veteran
had ultra gators, and ditched them, cut up too much and slid horribly in the wet

are we talking about the same tyres? smooth with a funny footprint pattern on he shoulders?

Smeggers

Sorry to hijack a bit - but would it be worth upgrading from Vittoria Rubinos - or is the difference not that noticeable?

sjb

Tynan said:
had ultra gators, and ditched them, cut up too much and slid horribly in the wet

are we talking about the same tyres? smooth with a funny footprint pattern on he shoulders?

That's the ones, have to say I've had no grip problems at all in my year with them, including some pretty hairy descents on wet roads and lots of urban commuting - only time I lose grip is wet manhole covers:wacko:

Tynan said:

Yep we are! maybe its the roads that make or brake the tyres as ive not had a prob with mine and im like a "train with no brakes" and bank over hard to 35 / 40 deg

Smeggers said:
Sorry to hijack a bit - but would it be worth upgrading from Vittoria Rubinos - or is the difference not that noticeable?
There good I would leave them on till its time to show them the bin lid:ohmy:

skwerl

Schwalbe Stelvio Plus - fantastic tyre but never seem to get mentioned. A lot of shops don't stock them unfortunately

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
GatorSkins seem to divide opinion more than any other tyre. People either swear by them, or swear at them. I'm in the latter camp.

But far worse were Conti 4 Seasons. When they first came out I thought they would be the ideal Audax tyre, but how wrong could I be: I'd never had so many punctures. The tread semed to trap shards of flint which would then be hammered through the tyre with every subsequent revolution. I was so happy when somone snapped them up as a bargain from my 'bike sale' table. Hopefully the new owner had more luck with them than I did.

Swapping to ProRace 2s saw the Puncture Fairy banished from then on.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
skwerl said:
Schwalbe Stelvio Plus - fantastic tyre but never seem to get mentioned. A lot of shops don't stock them unfortunately

I was put off them by the price - I ride regular Stelvios (with RaceGuard) and am happy both with the performance, and the extra £30 in my pocket :biggrin:

Top Bottom