best road wheels for under £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a matter of interest, why do you like the Zipp 101 so much..?

Bman

Guru
£1000!? Bl**dy H**!

I'm looking into a new wheelset in the range of £100 - £150

Would a set costing closer to £1000 really be that much better!?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A pair £300-500 would be a LOT better than a pair £100-150 (and if possible, I would always recommend the jump), but then a pair £1000 vs a pair £300-500 wouldn't necessarily be particularly noticeably better under normal use.

As with pretty much everything these is a rule of diminishing returns for pennies in for performance out.

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
As a matter of interest, why do you like the Zipp 101 so much..?
honestly i dont mind admiting it, i like the look of them, that and on a american cervelo forum i look at most people on there have that wheel set and say there the ones to have with my bike frame, either them or fulcrum zero

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
Best road wheels for what? Posing?[/quote

whats wrong with nice looking wheels?

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
£1000!? Bl**dy H**!

I'm looking into a new wheelset in the range of £100 - £150

Would a set costing closer to £1000 really be that much better!?
after your frame the wheels are the most importent component of your bike, so its worth spending a little extra

Spending a grand on a pair of 30mm aluminium clinchers would not be what I would call a sensible purchase - there are far better wheels available for considerably less. DA C24s would be my choice for an everyday road or race wheel and they would probably cost you half that, as well as being lighter, with better, more reliable hubs.

Unless they are talking aesthetics (which are debatable anyway), anyone who tells you that a certain wheel set is 'the one to have' with a certain frame is talking bollox.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Define "better". For reliable, year-in, year-out commuting, 1000 pounds is probably a waste of money. For shaving seconds off a time-trial time it might just be worth it.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Define "better". For reliable, year-in, year-out commuting, 1000 pounds is probably a waste of money. For shaving seconds off a time-trial time it might just be worth it.

:whistle: Rohloff rear, SON Delux Dynamo front... won't get much change out of £1500

Reactions: srw
I've got the answer. Buy a pair of Planet X AL30 wheels for £149, peel off the AL30 stickers and replace them with a set of Zipp decals from Ebay - you will instantly have a set of wheels which look like Zipp 101s and only weigh 114g more for the pair. With the £950 you save, you can buy some coaching....and go on a training camp...

Top Bottom