Best route to lock bike with chain to ground anchor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking at buying a Pragmasis chain and Torc ground anchor:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSz-kMgozpU

I am wondering what is the best way to route the chain around the frame to secure the front and back wheels without removing the front wheel. I need to work out the length of chain I require using a piece of string. I also have a Kyrptonite New York 3000 U lock.

I tried looking on YouTube and nothing on YouTube gives precise instructions about the best route. Hope someone can advise!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Depends on how many bikes you want to lock to the ground anchor
P.S. old MTB tubes make great covers for chains (anti scratch)

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I can order it with a one smaller end link but I prefer not to as its more expensive. I'll try it with a 2m piece of string.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3373072, member: 45"]It's not the single, smaller end link you'd want anyway. I use cables sometimes, and get more length by passing the cable through the rear triangle and wheel, then feeding one end of the cable through the other. This forms a loop around the triangle and tyre, and then the single length of cable goes to and through the front wheel and the the free end then goes down to the anchor.[/QUOTE]
Harder to cut a quality (harderned) chain than a cable.
As long as you don't leave the angle grinder nearby, on a bench/shelf say :whistle:

Tom B

Guru
I installed an ASGARD external bike store for a colleague who lives in the arse end of Salford. When we installed the concrete slab for the base of the store (and adjoining shed) we cast a length of hardened steel of about 6-8mm thickness (acquired from a local haulage yard as scrap). Thinking about it now i thing the chains were from skip wagons as they had big metal tabs on the end.

The old fella just sticks a D-Lock through the back wheel and around the seatpost and loops a link of the chain into the DLock. The D Lock is a decent lock and is coated in plastic/tape to prevent scratching his frame which after getting the bikes out of the house to avoid the wrath of SWMBO and theft was his main concern.

So far so good.

Personally I dont see the problem with one of these in the lounge!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/flat-bike-lift-overhead-store-garage-ceiling/dp/B00MJ26IS0

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Here is how I was planning on routing the chain:

2014-11-11%2021.46.36.jpg

2014-11-11%2021.47.17.jpg

2014-11-11%2021.49.47.jpg

I'll have a Kyrptonite New York 3000 U lock but the shackle won't be long enough to go through the anchor.

Does this look okay?

Top Bottom