Best Sub £1000 Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigup

I had a Giant Defy 1 in 2013 which i thought was a good bike but my elbow used to kill after a ride out on it, I went to a pro bike fit place to get me fitted properly but didn't help, so sold this on and went for a Triban 3 (red) which i still have and like a lot (all still stock)

Im thinking of selling the Triban 3 (red) and getting another bike this year

looking at reviews and on here I keep looking at the Cube Peloton Race 2015 @ £899 which seems to have a good a spec for the money

are there any others I should be looking at? of course I have not sat on this bike yet but will do this weekend

will be used for commuting (summer months only) and also weekend rides out.

im trying to get my work join cycle2work aswell so fingers crossed i can get it a bit cheaper.

thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
If the Triban fits you well, why not look at one of the models higher up the range?

Whatever you do get a proper test ride and compare the geometries to that of the triban

There are loads of options out there in your price range, I'd potter around a few local bike shops

mythste

Veteran
easy to get flooded under, its no coincidence that there are about a million bikes at £899-£999 to fall in with the cycle to work budget.

As I found out, don't get too caught up on spec sheets. I ended up going for a bike with lower spec parts than I could have afforded, but after trying the "better" bikes, the one I got felt like "mine" straight away.

Good luck!

Do you know why the Triban 3 is comfortable and the Defy 1 not?
If you don't know, then how will you ensure that you next bike is comfortable?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Do you know why the Triban 3 is comfortable and the Defy 1 not?
If you don't know, then how will you ensure that you next bike is comfortable?
Might be worth noting the key measurements you have on the triban.
Saddle height
saddle setback
reach to hoods
drop from saddle to bars
Then seeing if replicating that fit on another bike before you buy.

Might be worth noting the key measurements you have on the triban.
Saddle height
saddle setback
reach to hoods
drop from saddle to bars
Then seeing if replicating that fit on another bike before you buy.
These measurements are best taken as [X,Y] coordinates, using the bottom bracket as [0,0]. You eliminate all angles from the measurements.

Top Bottom