Best tires and tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CycleDrew

Regular
Hi.

I have a specialized allez, commute through London, and have suffered 4 punctures in the last couple of weeks. Obviously annoying, I'm looking for advice on puncture proof options for both tire and tube on a reasonable budget.

Thanks

What kind of punctures were they? The Specialized All Conditions I had seemed to only take to thorn punctures or pinches if you let them go a bit flat.

OP
OP
C

CycleDrew

Regular
One was a complete mystery, two were sharp stones/debris and then forth i only discovered this morning. I was still cursing running for my train. I'm only riding on roads or cycle paths from SW to E14.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Schwalbe Durano Plus are about as puncture proof as you can get

Except they are not.
Brand new pair on commute bike. Puncture in the first week.
But have been fine since.

I used to run Spesh Armadillo Elites, 2 punctures (ine due to pot hole) in 3500 miles. They wore out in the end. BUT they ride as if you cycling through gravy. The Durano's are much faster rolling.

I use Panaracer passela tourguards and they have done 2000+ without puncture. Mine are 28's though as i use them on my CX bike. I pretty much use them on road and light off road.
To be fair ALL tires can and will puncture in the right/wrong circumstances. All you can do is keep the odds in your favour by getting a good puncture resisting tire and avoid as much crap on the road as you can. Other than that just keep your fingers crossed. :cheers:

For what it's worth my vote will go to panaracer passela tourguards.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...UPWpC-e30QXK44CQBg&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

AndyPeace

Currently impressed with my new Gatorskins. So far whilst inspecting them I can see 3 attempts to penetrate the tire, all failed... though the tires are less than a week old ( about 100 miles on them) 2 of the attempted tire assassinations came when I ended up on a lane with it's hedges being flailed (in the wind, whole lane covered in debris for half a mile or so) this was the other one. .
2013-02-05220256_zpse6838b1b.jpg

Early days yet, but knowing the state of the lanes I've been on, I am well impressed!

Biker Joe

Über Member
Use the search 'search' option on this forum.
I'm sure you will find plenty of suggestions for appropriate tyres and tubes.
Good hunting:smile:

AndyPeace

Use the search 'search' option on this forum.
I'm sure you will find plenty of suggestions for appropriate tyres and tubes.
Good hunting:smile:

True, I just wanted somewhere to post that picture, as on any other tire I've run they would have caused a flat and it did not! I'm over the moon with Gatorskins, though I'm sure they'll go flat at some point, it just hasn't happened yet.

Top Bottom