Best Touring / Racing Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GCHLewis

I am about due to set off on a trip from London to the south of Spain and am in need of a new bike (I have just had one stolen). When I return I would like to do some racing. Therefore I was wondering if anyone knew what the fastest touring bike there is, or any racing bikes that can hold panniers with a bit of weight? I have heard that the Dawes Audax Sport is decent, any thoughts? (Budget around 600)

RedBike

The dawes sport has Sora shifters and a compact chainset.

Sora shifters making changing gear from on the drops near impossible. The compact gearing might leave you under-geared on some of the really quick descents.

I've done a few races on my Ribble winter bike. It's on the heavy side but seems to have a good turn of speed (with the mud-guards / racks removed)

Alf

Guru
GCHLewis said:
I am about due to set off on a trip from London to the south of Spain and am in need of a new bike (I have just had one stolen). When I return I would like to do some racing. Therefore I was wondering if anyone knew what the fastest touring bike there is, or any racing bikes that can hold panniers with a bit of weight? I have heard that the Dawes Audax Sport is decent, any thoughts? (Budget around 600)

You will find that a bike that is designed as a race bike will feel twitchy to someone used to the stability of a tourer. That also means that if you put panniers on a race bike you will feel the effect of the load on the way the bike handles more than if you put the same luggage on a tourer. Having said that, the bike I ride every day (often with a single pannier weighing up to 10Kg is basically a race bike but with mudguard clearance, braze-ons for a rack, etc. Nowadays bikes like this are generally called audax bikes and if you want to mix the two ends of the spectrum - touring and racing on the same bike, it is probably want you want.

There is quite a big selection and you really have to choose your price and your other priorities. If you really get into racing, you are going to want a pure race bike before too long, so you can bear that in mind if you are thinking of what compromises to make.

Alf

OP
OP
G

GCHLewis

Thanks Alf. You're right that an Audax is what I'm after. You make a good point about the bike handling better with weight on a tourer. I think I have to realise it's impossible to get the best of both worlds.

Anyone with any experience of an audax bike?

RedBike

GCHLewis said:
Appreciate your advice. How do you feel it take some panniers and a bit of weight?

The Ribble doesn't feel to bad with the panniers. The frame is very stiff so it copes with the extra weight very well. However, I wouldn't recommend it as a tourer.

You can only fit 23mm tyres on it. These are a little bit too thin for a heavily laiden tourer. The frames also very stiff. Great for racing but a little bit on the harsh side for long days in the saddle.

The seat-stays are also quite short. I have to be carefull how I fit my pannier bags to the rack or I bang my heals on the bags.

My preference would be for a second-hand reynolds 853 frame (audax / sportive), light enough to race on, comfortable enough to tour on.

OP
OP
G

GCHLewis

The Kenisis does look great. Pricing is the only issue here, as I think my budget can only really stretch to 700 pounds. It's so easy to keep stretching the budget everytime I see something I like, and it's hard to put a cap on it!

P.H

Über Member
GCHLewis said:
The Kenisis does look great. Pricing is the only issue here, as I think my budget can only really stretch to 700 pounds. It's so easy to keep stretching the budget everytime I see something I like, and it's hard to put a cap on it!

If you don't mind putting it together yourself, you could easily do it within that budget. I spent nearly £800 on mine, but I choose Campag and wheels built by Paul Hewitt. I did cost it with Spa Cycles wheels and Tiagra, it came to £640 including having the BB and Headset fitted.

GrahamG

Guru
Second-hand old steel frame mtb for the tour (get some solid new handbuilt wheels for it though and upgrade any worn drivetrain parts) and then spend out on a racer when you get back.

Top Bottom