Best Trails UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaneWBA

I'm pretty new to biking on trails, but went BPW last week and loved it

What other places would people recommend that are similar with BPW and ideally have an uplift pease?

Dolorous Edd

Forest of Dean - worth a go if you can get to it easily

https://www.forestryengland.uk/cannop-cycle-centre

LJR69

BPW is the Mecca and so you've pretty much started at the best place. However you should try FlyUp 417 which is a great dh park (with uplift).

Jody

Stubborn git
For uplifts Forrest of Dean is worth a trip and the uplift to the top is really quick.

Antur Stiniog is another decent place but the trails are a lot more rocky and more suited towards bigger hitting bikes. Still enjoyed it though but wish my bike was 160-180 travel.

Black Mountains has an uplift. I've not been there but it gets some good reviews.

Revolution bike park and DyFi has uplift. Both look a little out of my league though given how big some of the jumps are.

Danny Harts descend bike park in the north east also has an uplift.

Jody

Stubborn git
Uplifts are great Fossy.

TBF they are some cracking XC trails. Any of them are well worth the drive and effort.

Dolorous Edd

I get the impression full on DH bikes - which look impossible to ride uphill and so make uplifts look less like cheating - are far less popular than they were, and that many now use enduro bikes for downhill instead.

Last edited:

LJR69

Uplift... :wacko: You'll be getting an e-bike next !!

Try some XC courses like Llandegla, Gwydir, Penmachno and Coed y Brenin - all great but they are hard work - non of this uplift rubbish. :whistle: Also loads of 'natural routes' if you look at MTBWales.com
I bet after one ascent of BPW's mountain, followed by a 5km technical descent you'd be in the mini bus with the rest of us :laugh:

I agree though that XC riding has it's own challenges and feel good factor, but it's a very different beast to full on DH riding.

In other news...I'm considering getting an e-MTB :biggrin: (I get all the uphill riding I want from my road cycling - where I'd never get an e-bike)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
DH MTB is a very different past time, quite unrelated to the other forms of cycling where one needs to pedal.

Uplifts are great Fossy.

TBF they are some cracking XC trails. Any of them are well worth the drive and effort.
I never understood that rubbish about "earning" the downhill part of a bike park ride by slogging up it first.

People go for the downhill experience, not to knacker themselves going up.

Just like skiing.

Haven't been for years, but the first time I went to BPW the bike trailer wasn't available and I wasted a lot of time and energy riding up it three times.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wasted a lot of time and energy riding up it three times.
Wasted, really? I think you probably put in a fair effort for the reward?

Anyway, getting back to the OP and I hardly think they will be sessioning extreme DH on a hardcore rig when they describe themselves as below....
I'm pretty new to biking on trails,
I don't think this is the thread to be debating the right/wrong, reasoning or justification for using an uplift service for riding trails in the Welsh hills :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Wasted?

With every pedal stroke, youre getting fitter - hardly a waste.

With every pedal stroke, your body is taking on board the minutiae of body positioning, bike geometry and behaviour, how the surface below behaves and reacts, and reading the terrain. These lessons will also make you a better downhillist.

Time in the saddle actually riding a bike is never wasted in the advancement of your fitness, skills and abilities, or all three.

Top Bottom