Best upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robz400

Hi all,

Right, I currently cycle 10 miles each way to work on my year and a half old Carrera Virtuoso which is fine but obviously a bit budget and has now done just over 2500miles in which time i've done nothing to it except some nicer tyres.

I can get a new bike on the cycle to work scheme in November but until then I'd like to upgrade the Carrera a bit....

I'm thinking wheels, carbon forks and carbon seat post. oh and brake pads, I ran out of those a few hundred miles ago!!!!

Of the 3 which will make the biggest difference to my commute? Forks and seat post for buzz or new wheels????

Thanks ;):smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
1) Wheels
2) Wheels
3) Wheels

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You're commuting, not racing, so a good set of wheels & decent tyres for reliability.

Bikes get a lot of abuse when commuting so the carbon stuff is a bit of a waste.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Mark_Robson said:
Rob check out my upgraded Virtuoso for ideas.

:evil: How did you manage to only spend roughly the same cost again and get a 105 mech? I specced up a 105 setup (including the levers) last night and could only get it to about £450 for a 5600/5603 setup.

OP
OP
R

robz400

Thanks for the replies :-)

I realise its only commuting but I use it as my main CV training for boxing as tend to do weights the evenings and therefore keep a keen eye on my times and push pretty hard.

I heard that carbon forks give bikes a much smoother ride?

Will definitely get some wheels though...

Whats a good set that won't cost the earth but will make a difference, i'd hate to spend £200 and not really save any weight!!

OP
OP
R

robz400

Rob check out my upgraded Virtuoso for ideas.

Very jealous now! Same red as well!! I love the idea of loosing the sora shifters but was shocked at the cost.

Any reason I couldn't just continue to upgrade until the only thing left is the frame??? And then once I'm feeling more flush slot in the nice carbon frame???

jay clock

Massive member
If you are using this as CV training, do not bother reducing the weight. Increase it if anything.

Give the bike a good clean and service, replace the pads.

Keep riding

Mark_Robson

HaloJ said:
:smile: How did you manage to only spend roughly the same cost again and get a 105 mech? I specced up a 105 setup (including the levers) last night and could only get it to about £450 for a 5600/5603 setup.
Everything came from eBay. I'm still looking out for some 9 speed shifters to complete the job but as you know they aint cheap. Just keep your eyes open and you will find bargains.

I replaced a 531 steel fork (stripped threads on the steerer) with a carbon fork and the difference is noticable - it doesn't cushion the bumps much, but does get rid of quite a bit of vibration.

The other upgrade I've done recently and am really appreciating is a dynamo hub with good standlights attached.

Alex

Top Bottom