best value hardtail mtb up to £ 400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
as per title, what is the best value hardtail i.e. the bike with the highest spec. components for under £ 400;

must have suspension forks
3 x 9 gears, not gripshift
available in 19 or 20 in frame (Horizontal top tube circa 600 mm)
hydraulic disc brakes

.... so far my trawling the web for new bikes is showing felt q620 for £ 370 - any one can top that?

Cyclist33

I would buy the gt avalanche in a heartbeat if I had your requirements n budget!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanch...m_content=GT-GT_Avalanche_1.0_Disc_2012-White

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
hmmmm damn that is good - thanks for that but don't really want 10 spd cassette .... decisions decisions :sad: (the bike is intended to be a cheap commuter - ok, cheap is relative - hence the top limit in case it gets stolen ... unless something cheap but good appears on ebay).

Cyclist33

hmmmm damn that is good - thanks for that but don't really want 10 spd cassette .... decisions decisions :sad: (the bike is intended to be a cheap commuter - ok, cheap is relative - hence the top limit in case it gets stolen ... unless something cheap but good appears on ebay).
Lol you don't actually have to use all 10 speeds if you don't want! The avalanche is a do it all bike tho and that's a bloody good spec for 400 quid, even got a decent fork.

Er, get insurance.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
yeah, I know, for my commute I could probably get away with a single speed (unless I want to play in the woods at lunchtime... just that I have this obsession of keeping compatible parts across my bikes which are all 9 speed (I'm fighting going to 10 sp as well as 29er wheels)

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Rockrider 5.3 and pocket the change. Win.

edit: bugger, didn't see your brake requirement. Ignore me.

lulubel

Über Member
just that I have this obsession of keeping compatible parts across my bikes which are all 9 speed (I'm fighting going to 10 sp as well as 29er wheels)

That makes a lot of sense, and I'd really try to stick to that if I were you. Out of all our bikes, we have absolutely nothing that's compatible, and it's a real pain when something breaks.

Cyclist33

Buy a second hand bike from someone you know/ trust, because sure £400 to get a new bike isn't much

Well it would have been if the OP had got on wiggle when I said. It's gone up to 470 now.

MatthewB7621

But even with a good value new bike like that GT it's still better to buy a second hand bike. I bought a Trek fuel for £430 and it's far better than what any new bike websites sell for £400ish. The forks on that bike would cost £300> on their own so sometimes better to just buy a whole new bike. Now I have 4 modified bikes all better than the way I bought them.

Cyclist33

But even with a good value new bike like that GT it's still better to buy a second hand bike. I bought a Trek fuel for £430 and it's far better than what any new bike websites sell for £400ish. The forks on that bike would cost £300> on their own so sometimes better to just buy a whole new bike. Now I have 4 modified bikes all better than the way I bought them.

Total spend including mods?

Alan57

The op is looking for something up to £400 , yours was £430 then mods on top so it`s out of his price range. Sometimes a 2nd hand bargin can be had but you also have to know what you`re looking for ,( as regards wear and tear) and have an honest seller otherwise it can be an expensive "ride" . At least with new you can get a " last years" bargain and a certain piece of mind that if it developes a problem you`re covered to some degree.

Top Bottom