Best way to back up everything on my laptop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Ben Lovejoy said:
External hard drive. These are very cheap for large capacities these days.

The chances of both laptop and external hard drive failing at the same time are infintessimally small, but if you worry about that, buy two and alternate backups between them so you always have a recent backup on both.
Not as low as you may think actually. A case in point was a user 'lost' their laptop. They got a new one & went to restore data from backup only to knock the external HDD on the floor... cue problems getting data off the HDD.

This is why I recommend flash media, though not totally unbreakable they are a lot more robust when it comes to being dropped etc. & it's a lot harder to drop a flashpen when it's in a USB port.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Just for my twopence's worth. I have had two HDD backup drives that failed (one was dropped, not from very high, and on to the carpet - these things happen), leaving me losing old archives as well as my backups.

I have never heard of any USB pen/solid state drive failing because it was dropped, or losing data through age (as CDs and DVDs would, and they are unreliable to start off with).

I would also suggest for critical data that one additionally back them up on various services now available on the internet (many are free). Dropbox is an example, free for up to 1GB, and it syncs for consistency with a folder on your laptop regularly all by itself if you wish (when one probably wouldn't do except once in a while with one's own drive). Another advantage is e.g. if you have a fire at home you can lose your laptop as well as your backup drive, but your online backup is sitting thousands of miles and away.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'll add a bit as well. I use sticks frequently at work to carry data around different sites or to transfer from one machine to another. I've recently had two new stcks fail within a week of purchase.

OTH I have been using Freecom HDD for years as our main back up without any problem. I have three, two for work and one at home. the nice thing about the Freecom drives is they are USB powered and come with some Sync software which means after your initial backup only files that have changed will be backed up on subsequent runs. Takes about five minutes at the end of each day. Plug in and the sync auto runs immediately, could not be simpler. These HDDs are so small I carry one of my work ones with me everywhere, so we always have backups in two different places.

I don't have this one http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=4033&CatID=400 but may treat myself one day!!

twowheelsgood

First thing to say is that your unreliable Vaio may not actually be an issue with regards to you data; it's pretty easy to plug-in a notebook hard drive and read it on any other computer should your PC actually die, although you'll need a simple, cheap adaptor for an older IDE drive to a regular PC (the interface is the same, just smaller, the adaptor is purely to physically connect). Sata is no problemo.

That is unless the hard drive itself is the source of the problem. Saying that though, back-up should be done even on the most healthy of systems as it doesn't stop theft, fire or any other total loss.

I would approach the problem this way. I'd buy a new hard drive for your notebook and an appropriate USB hard disk housing. This will be SATA or IDE for an older machine. it's extremely easy to tell the difference as 2 minutes on google will show.

DO NOT buy a ready-packed drive for reasons that will become clear. Years ago, these were simply notebook drives with the appropriate interface, hard disk manufacturers now ship hard disks with a built in native USB interface, which is no good for what I'm about to suggest.

Using a desktop PC (beg, borrow), clone the disk using Clonezilla (this is free and can boot from a USB stick) to the new hard drive.

Put the new hard drive in the notebook. If it stops crashing, congratulations, you fixed your notebook! Also with Vaios, try replacing the CMOS battery (especially if more than 2-3 years old) and resetting the BIOS to default. If it didn't fix it, then put the old disk in the hard disk enclosure and you have your back-up. You should use the newer disk in your machine as new hard drives are much quicker. Then try re-installing Windows (you have a back-up of your old system remember); most "crashes" are software related but you are right, despite premium prices Vaios actually don't do particularly well in terms of reliability - you want a Thinkpad for that. Macbooks actually have MORE quality problems than many PC brands (screen problems, cracking cases, discolouration of plastics); they are of course internally litte more than generic PCs anyway these days, hence the Hackintosh cult.

What else?

2.5" drives are pretty relaible as external USB drives as they are designed for portable use. I too have had problems with larger 3.5" drives as they are designed for static desktop PCs.

You should also organise your PC. One of the most annoying thing about many PCs "out of the box" is that they use only a single disk partition for Windows. Always, always use a seperate partition for windows (usually C:smile: and move your "user data" to the other partition. This is easy to do by right-clicking "My documents" and selecting a new location. You can now re-install windows on the c: drive without losing anything.

Windows has a built in basic tool for back-up and it works pretty well. Open explorer, right-click the drive and properties->tools and backup now.

Finally, keep your back-up data safe but physical seperate from your computer. The best back-up solution is across the net to a remote location.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom