Best way to build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Lights etc bought and ready yo go only to have a puncture to front tyre. So will have to wait till Friday now to get my first spin.
First mechanical lesson is a puncture should be fixed in around 10 minutes or so not days later. Have a practice at home first, well worth the effort. :thumbsup:

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
AS regards tyres, if you want to build up fitness, leaving the knobbly tyres on until they wear out might actually be the best thing. They are more draggy, but the drag makes you work harder than you would work when riding on slicks. I have a whole pile of ratty old knobbly MTB tyres that have come from various bikes that I have salvaged or bought. Instead of chucking them out, I'm using them on my hack bikes which are not ridden long distances and where the extra drag is not a big deal as I am not going that fast anyway.
Dunno about this concept @SkipdiverJohn - part of the joy of cycling is going faster than walking for less effort. We don't start new swimmers in drag-shorts - why start cyclists in the equivalent! Tyres (as mentioned) don't need to be skinny, but smooth is so much nicer on roads.
To open another can of worms - Strava (and similar apps)... some folks do find them quite motivational. Seeing early progress in numbers can be encouraging, and you can set yourself realistic challenges. But then other find them completely de-motivating, and I shall probably get shot down in flames for even mentioning the 'S' word!

Boon 51

Veteran
My bob's worth.. Don't worry to much about how fast you can pedal you will get faster as you get fitter. Get the bike set up to be comfortable as you can. Get used to taking some water with you and a bit to eat. If you do a bit of hill climbing don't stop at the top ride a little way than have a rest if you want too. As others have said try and go a little bit further each time you ride and take a spare inner tube with you and above all have fun. enjoyment is the key.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Dunno about this concept @SkipdiverJohn - part of the joy of cycling is going faster than walking for less effort. We don't start new swimmers in drag-shorts - why start cyclists in the equivalent! Tyres (as mentioned) don't need to be skinny, but smooth is so much nicer on roads.!

I agree, smoother tyres are less effort, and I wouldn't go out and fit new knobblys to a bike mainly used on-road, but if you've already got a set of knobbly tyres fitted you might as well wear them out first then replace with slicker ones when needed. There is definitely a relationship between effort input and fitness improvement though, otherwise nutters wouldn't deliberately look for hills to repeatedly ride up when training!. Sometimes, if not riding that far, say only 10 miles or less, I will deliberately take one of my MTB's out rather than a hybrid, because I know the knobbly tyres make me put in more effort per mile. More work = more fitness gained. If the OP starts on knobbly tyres and gradually builds up mileage and fitness, by the time the tyres need replacing, riding on slicker ones will be a doddle because the hard work building up baseline fitness will be done by then. Agree that skinny doesn't mean better though, skinny means less comfort. On a MTB, I like 1.75" wide non-aggressive tread pattern tyres for best performance & comfort, but for a workout knobblys make you put in more effort.

Hi all. I finally got my wee bike. It was a steel at £20, its a mountain bike which I plan to go on the road. Plan to try and build my fitness and confidence on the road before I go big. Planning to try and change tyres to thinner ones.

What is my best way to build up. I'm actually training for the 10k in the running, so do I so. The same there. Ai. To cycle 5k one week and up it by 2k each week?
£20 for a mountain bike absolutely brilliant. Well done you I say. Yes get thinner tyres as soon as you can afford to because it will definitely make it easier if you intend riding on the road. Glad to read you brought some lights and I would say stay local and do circular routes gradually increasing the size of the circle. With regard to riding kit theres some great advice on here with regards to buying non cycling specific gear.
Just one of the great things about this forum is that whether you ride a lower end or top end bike your cyclist and everyone is willing to advise you on any questions you may have. Welcome.

OP
OP
Johnnylewis

Johnnylewis

Regular
£20 for a mountain bike absolutely brilliant. Well done you I say. Yes get thinner tyres as soon as you can afford to because it will definitely make it easier if you intend riding on the road. Glad to read you brought some lights and I would say stay local and do circular routes gradually increasing the size of the circle. With regard to riding kit theres some great advice on here with regards to buying non cycling specific gear.
Just one of the great things about this forum is that whether you ride a lower end or top end bike your cyclist and everyone is willing to advise you on any questions you may have. Welcome.
Thanks. Yeah. It's a reebok bike with disc brakes and light weight. Got puncture fixed. Mate at shop says get thinner tyres as soon as I can on but in mean time get on the road with the tyres on them and get some miles done. I'm staying local, probably do my running routes till I'm confident and going in a straight line lol. Hopefully get an hour done in morning before work.

OP
OP
Johnnylewis

Johnnylewis

Regular
So finally got out this morning. Wasn't too worried about diatance as I did a 8k run last night. This is all about getting out and getting mins on the saddle. Feel like John Wayne
Screenshot_20181024-070115.png

OP
OP
Johnnylewis

Johnnylewis

Regular
Looks like a great start to me, well done. Onwards and upwards now.:thumbsup:
Tbh I don't know what average speed, elevation etc is good and not good. As many say on here my target is to get out as many times as possible and clock up a few miles even to after Christmas. Then I should have a really good idea what I'm actually looking to do. I feel great, legs bit like jelly and knees sore. But 1st time and as I said I done a 8k run last night so can be too disappointed

Slick

Guru
Tbh I don't know what average speed, elevation etc is good and not good. As many say on here my target is to get out as many times as possible and clock up a few miles even to after Christmas. Then I should have a really good idea what I'm actually looking to do. I feel great, legs bit like jelly and knees sore. But 1st time and as I said I done a 8k run last night so can be too disappointed
No, that's a good effort to start off especially if you are running as well. My first effort after many year's off the bike was pathetic but I soon surprised myself with just how far you can go and how quickly improvements come on the bike. As a warning though, it's use it or lose it as even a week off the bike for me is like doing pre-season training again.

Top Bottom